In Memoriam: Michael Lepold 8/2011

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
frieda85219
Trip Reports (0)

In Memoriam: Michael Lepold 8/2011

Post by frieda85219 »

Mike Lepold found his passion for hiking while on vacation in Germany. He took a casual hike up the Alps and found his passion. For the last 10 years Mike has been hiking the Colorado 14ers. He had hiked over 40 of the summits. Each one was a thrill. His goal was to hike all of them. On August 17, 2011, Mike did a solo hike to Challenger point. At the summit he called his wife to share in his excitement and accomplishment. On the descent, he fell 600 ft. We will never know exactly what happened, but we do know his love for these mountains. His family is grateful for the Search and Rescue team that was able to recover his body on the 20th. A special thank you to the hikers that help direct the searchers and for the kind words and video that was taken of his recovery. Mike was known for his love for his family. He was very proud of his 2 children and had found his soulmate in his wife. Mike was only 52 when he made his last climb. As you climb the summits take some thoughts of Mike with you so that he can finally reach the summit of all the 14ers. Mike is greatly missed by his family and friends.
Mike Lepold Colorado 2.jpg
Mike Lepold Colorado 2.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Re: In Memoriam: Michael Lepold 8/2011

Post by Matt Lemke »

I will be thinking of him on my Humboldt/Kit Carsen climbs this weekend.

So sad...may he be in peace.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I give you this one thought to keep:
I am with you still - I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not think of me as gone;
I am with you still - in each new dawn.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

We'll have a moment for him on Pyramid and Maroon Peaks this weekend... He's not unlike me, or others.

Prayers and peace...
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

wildlobo71 wrote:We'll have a moment for him on Pyramid and Maroon Peaks this weekend... He's not unlike me, or others.

Prayers and peace...
Marie123 and I will do the same in the San Juans this weekend
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I'll offer a prayer from the Summit of Snowmass, Mountain Gods willing, RIP Michael...
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

I will certainly carry some thoughts of him with me on my upcoming trip to the Crestones, may he rest in peace.
frieda85219
Trip Reports (0)

Post by frieda85219 »

Thanks to all for your prayers and thoughts for Mike and his family. This is the article about his recovery
http://www.wetmountaintribune.com/home.asp?i=641&p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;