Summits with nice granite for a wedding ring

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summits with nice granite for a wedding ring

Post by bonehead »

Whitehouse and Treasue Mt have lots of interesting rocks and are home to the marble quarries up Yule Creek.
Ask you cutter about yule marble. Pure White.
A new paradigm. Diamonds suck.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Summits with nice granite for a wedding ring

Post by milan »

You don't want go Sawatch but thats the part of Rockies mostly made of granite and granite-like stones. Mt. Antero has pretty and very white hard granite that I think is superior to most of the other granite types I've seen here. Other peaks made of granite as I remember Pikes, many peaks in the Rocky Mntns. nat. park, I think including Longs Pk., Mt. Lindsey, Evans. I haven't been in the Chicago basin yet but I read about the geology of San Juans and Mt.Eolus is definately granite and that mountain might fulfill your requirement of challenge as well as Sunlight and Windom. If you want dark type, I haven't seen dark granite here, but if you would not require granite but just a dark interesting stone, I'd reccomend the amphibolite of Blanca pk. Crestones are made of conglomerate and some of the rounded stones are granite, you can find some there. Just be aware, for a ring, you need fresh, hard and solid rock, it must be durable. So nothing weathered, no scree, I'd worry about that conglomerate stuff (it was transported long ago, sedimented...).. In my best oppinion, I'd go to Antero for white granite and Blanca for almost black amphibolite. Actually, in winter, I can imagine Antero might be a beast :)..