Favorite hikes on west side of RMNP?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Favorite hikes on west side of RMNP?

Post by DurangoJenn »

I'm planning to do Grays/Torreys on Friday and then thinking about doing some hiking on the west side of RMNP on Saturday. Trying to decide between that or doing another 14er before heading back to Durango. So any suggestions for hikes on that side of the park? TIA
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite hikes on west side of RMNP?

Post by ajkagy »

east inlet up to lake verna is a nice hike, although the tree kill in the area is horrible.

Milner pass has some nice above treeline hiking

The never summers have some really nice peaks and hikes that are pretty remote (you likely won't see anybody up there)

I know it's not in the park, but a hike up to columbine lake near the west side of Mt. Neva is a really beautiful hike and if you're feeling good you can take the west ridge and summit Neva or just relax by the lake and fish.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Lake of the Clouds is a nice destination, but some bridges got wiped out earlier this year, so I'm not sure how easy it is to get to right now.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

I like the Colorado River trail to Little Yellowstone.
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

Last time I tried to did lake of the clouds I could not ford the river that decided to replace the trail. This was months ago though. I went to lulu city instead. I enjoyed it, but I'm sure there are more scenic hikes around.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

+1 on Lake of the Clouds. You have the option of hiking up Mt. Cirrus near there, too. It's a fairly long jaunt, though -- about 14 miles RT to the lake and back.

http://tlmathews.com/blog/wp-content/ga ... ano03a.jpg
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

That's a beautiful picture. Which one is Mt. Cirrus? How early did you have to start hiking to get that?
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

mountain_man wrote:
That's a beautiful picture. Which one is Mt. Cirrus? How early did you have to start hiking to get that?
I believe its near the center of the photo. Here Mt. Cirrus in relation to Lake of the Clouds (I believe you have to have Google Earth installed to view this link): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mount+cir ... 1,12.896,0

When I took it, I was standing close to where the "s" in "Clouds" is on the map. When I hiked up there, I got a little off-trail once I got above treeline, so I probably added an additional half-hour to my total time. Plus, I spent about half an hour at the lake as well. Started at 6:00 (was Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago) and got back to the trailhead around 1:30.
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

Mt Ida is a really nice hike and very doable for almost any level hikers. I've heard the view is spectacular but the day I climbed it the top 50 ft was completely socked in by clouds :cry:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Ida's a good one, plus you can continue onwards if you're not tired. Careful with lightning though, you're above treeline 90% of the way up, and descending into a valley will just for a miserable long hike back.

I did Bench lake in North Inlet, very nice hike and few people. War Dance Falls is spectacular.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!