Anyone climb South Wilson?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Anyone climb South Wilson?

Post by globreal »

I am looking to find out about South Wilson...the unranked 14er that is at the end of the ridge south of Mt. Wilson. Has anyone out there climbed it?

I would like to find out what would be the safest/easiest route and how difficult it might be. Is technical gear needed or can you make it with a scramble?

Any beta, insight, route info would be appreciated.

Thanks...
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Anyone climb South Wilson?

Post by globreal »

bumping this back up...
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

You probably already know this, and it is as far from current as you can get, but since I just read it (again) yesterday and found it interesting, I will post.

Borneman's guide to 14ers tells that Mt WIlson was first climbed via this route by A.D. Wilson and his half-brother Franklin Rhoda during the Hayden Survey, Sept 13 1874. About all it says is this: "The south ridge of Mt Wilson with a series of sharp needles over 14,000 feet remains a formidable route."

More fascinating info can be found in Beuhler's "Roof of the Rockies" which I highly recommend. I need to re-read it.

You certainly don't hear much about it.

I have kind of wondered whether or not it is the San Juans equivalent to the SW ridge on Little Bear, in that it presents an unusual route to a difficult summit that might possibly avoid some (standard-route) hazards at the expense of encountering others. My guess is that both routes will become more popular over time.

Looking forward to other's actual experiences on this route.

If you go, let us know!
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
Dorje1018
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dorje1018 »

You are looking at a scree and rubble scramble to the top of S. Wilson via the south. The main difficulties remain between S. Wilson and Wilson.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Britt, I was just on Mt Wilson today and took a look in the direction of S wilson. I failed to get photos ( we had to leave the summit in a hurry as weather was building), but it did look more serious than just walking over there.

Alpine's note from Borneman strikes me as a nice description.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Britt, I might consider going up KP, taking a line left of the headwall, then up to the saddle and the ridge. Just a best guess from looking at it.

Or if hitting El Diente and the traverse, descending MW on the KP side to the apron, then traversing over into the MW-SMW saddle and up the ridge.

Just my 2c, FWIW.

-Jim

Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

CarpeDM wrote:Britt, I was just on Mt Wilson today and took a look in the direction of S wilson. I failed to get photos ( we had to leave the summit in a hurry as weather was building), but it did look more serious than just walking over there.

Dave, congrats on your "pre-finisher." :lol:

And good luck on Longs!!

=D> =D> =D>
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Britt,

I remember thinking it looks like a long day and would be surprised to learn of a class-4 route given this perspective from El Diente:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vKPS ... wilson.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This shot from Mount Wilson:
http://www.14ers.com/images/trips/eldi/ ... 5627_l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Nice photos, Michael. They illustrate the difficulty of getting from MW to SMW directly.

If SMW is the goal (and not the MW-SMW traverse) I would think a south ridge approach better:

The area circled in blue is the MW-SMW traverse. Perhaps SMW is better gained from the other side (south ridge.)

Yes, Britt, this drawing seen from lower in KP I think shows it.

oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Hi Britt...Mike here. I am heading into the Wilson's to do all 3 between Aug 4-8. You gonna be in there during that time? Would be nice to climb with you and include SMW as part of the trip.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Here is a picture I took of South Wilson in June 26, 2010.
With the higher amount snow fall we had this year, come the second week in Aug., the snow may be about the same as in this photo.
Attachments
South Wilson from just below El Diente summit
South Wilson from just below El Diente summit
HPIM5240_edited.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 818 times
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

oldschool wrote:Hi Britt...Mike here. I am heading into the Wilson's to do all 3 between Aug 4-8. You gonna be in there during that time? Would be nice to climb with you and include SMW as part of the trip.

PM sent.