indian peaks conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

indian peaks conditions?

Post by prestone818 »

anyone been up there lately?
Tim McMarmot
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: indian peaks conditions?

Post by Tim McMarmot »

I haven't been since early last month so a lot may have changed, but then the trails from Hessie were a mess. I didn't get far...
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I went to Lake Dorothy today. The wildflowers were out. Only had to cross a few snow sections and one raging waterfall. There seems to be a good amount of snow in the couloirs in general.
northcountry
14ers: 14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by northcountry »

My daughter and I were on the Isabelle Lake/Glacier trail last Sunday to do our conditioning hike before starting our summer climbs. 90% of the trail was snow-covered w. some glazed ice, not too bad on that trail because the altitude doesn't change much for the 3 miles, so we were in our summer hiking shoes. Not really too bad even in those shoes, but we did post-hole a bit and that was between 10.5 and 11k altitude. But I wouldn't have wanted to do any serious climbing without micros, at least. And I would expect that there was a lot more snow the higher you go.

Last year on the exact same day, 7/3, I climbed Audubon with my 9-yr.-old daughter and the snow was completely gone. This year, no way without the right footgear and maybe an axe or at least poles. Shows that whatever conditions we have one year can't be applied any other year. I was going to try Longs up Keplingers Couloir in the next week or two, because of the full south exposure all the way to the summit. Thought the snow would be gone at least a week to two weeks earlier than on the north side. But I'm going to wait a few weeks, maybe into August, to do any leg-stretching up there just because of the late snow conditions.

Good luck. NorthCountry
JasonF
14ers: 58 
13ers: 63 1
Trip Reports (45)

Post by JasonF »

Was up there with avs88fan yesterday trying to do Arapahoe Peaks. There is still plenty of snow below tree line on all east facing aspects (not sure about the west side of the divide). Bring gaiters and be prepared for wet boots. The 4th of July trail had 3-4 long sections of snow fields to cross and water was flowing in the upper portions of the trail. There was one section of "waterfall" that had to be crossed - falling down in that section with the stream velocity could make for a very bad day.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going get better. It's not.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
Dr. Seuss
YonderMountain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

Anyone been up the Roaring Fork trail lately? Cascade creek trail? would like to get to Stone Lake or Gourd Lake this week if possible.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

YonderMountain wrote:Anyone been up the Roaring Fork trail lately? Cascade creek trail? would like to get to Stone Lake or Gourd Lake this week if possible.
No info, but I'm headed up to Watanga Lake on Saturday and would be very curious on what you find out. I called the ranger district, but they didn't have any info. (Maybe I'll try later when someone else is working.)

--D
YonderMountain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

Derek wrote:No info, but I'm headed up to Watanga Lake on Saturday and would be very curious on what you find out. I called the ranger district, but they didn't have any info. (Maybe I'll try later when someone else is working.)

--D
I was at the Forest Service office Granby yesterday and they didn't have any first hand info either.
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Bump...
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Was up the Middle Boulder Creek drainage (4th of July TH) on Sunday, 7-17. The area is holding good snow. I spoke with climbers who had just finished Phoebe on Neva and they enjoyed the conditions. They climbed Snow Lion on Jasper a few days before and thought conditions were prime. Also watched two groups climb Skywalker on S. Arapaho.

Jasper on left, Neva at center, seen from the Arapaho Glacier trail.
_KDB4591.jpg
_KDB4591.jpg (348.8 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
YonderMountain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

Thank you Kimo.

Has anyone been on the west side of the IPW recently?
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

YonderMountain wrote:Thank you Kimo.

Has anyone been on the west side of the IPW recently?
I spoke with the FS yesterday on Roaring Fork and Cascade Creeks. Major runoff so expect a muddy mess and snow starting around 10,500.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason