launch of peakery.com!

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Re: launch of peakery.com!

Post by mike offerman »

The missing centennials that I noticed were 13811 and 13832 down by Redcloud. From the sources you reference, I suppose peaks without official names like these two would make up a significant number of missing peaks.

Looks like some cleanup is also needed, North Eulos is way North, there is a Jupitor and Jupiter right on top of each other. Some duplicates like Needle Mountains Peak Sixteen and Needle Mountains Peak 16.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

dskendall wrote:Also I plan to add a way for anyone to add a peak in the future.

Scott
Just make sure you have a process to validate any additions before just adding.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Just browsing Nepal peaks. Several very famous peaks seem to be missing. I did not search exhaustively though. I would avoid statements like "Dhampus Peak is a 19,724 foot mountain peak in Nepal. It ranks as the 46th highest mountain in Nepal.". That is really hard to believe that there are not more then 45 peaks higher then that in Nepal. Mera Peak, Island Peak (aka Imja Tse), Lhotse, Kangchenjunga are conspicuously absent, to name a few with a quick browse.

"Mardi Himal is a 18,330 foot mountain peak in Nepal. It ranks as the 48th highest mountain in Nepal." and
"Poon Hill is a 10,466 foot mountain peak in Nepal. It ranks as the 49th highest mountain in Nepal."
Implies there are no peaks in Nepal between those two heights.

I would find a different wording that says this just includes the peaks that have been entered on your site to date. Or something along those lines. Being anal retentive, I see statements like that from a source and then start to discredit all info from that source.

On the northeast peaks, ofcourse do not stop at 4000 feet. I would include 100 highest lists for the Catskills, NY Adirondacks, Vermont, White Mountains and Maine. I assume that will come in time.

Good concept, and very nice pictures there. Worth browsing. I kind of hate to see climbers disperse over many sites though rather then come to one heavy traffic site which seems better for sharing ideas to me.

My 2 cents. I will browse it more in the coming weeks.

Editing to add I do see Kangchenjunga and Lhotse in the 8000 meter list but not the Nepal list. So these issues of missing peaks could be a listing issue. Hopefully the website allows peaks to belong to multiple lists, most peaks will.
Best Regards
dskendall
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dskendall »

OK, http://peakery.com is back up and running in IE now. BTW, here's a screenshot of what a peak page looks like:
Scott
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

A quick glance at the high 200 or so Colorado peaks. You have the names wrong, you have the order (rank) wrong, and you have the elevations wrong. :? Other than that.....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
dskendall
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dskendall »

Thank you all for your feedback so far. Yes, still a lot of data issues. Will be working on that a lot. Currently for peaks on a border, it only shows the peak in one country. This could explain the Nepal peaks issue that you saw @jrbren_vt. I will be changing that. I'm also planning on revising the peak descriptions soon and will take your feedback on that into consideration. Also, thanks for pointing out the hole of unnamed peaks like the 13ers you mentioned @mike offerman. I want to get all of these in there. When I do add a way for users to add peaks, yes I will employ some kind of validation @randalmartin

The next major thing for the site will be the import of another extremely large batch of peaks, so this should drastically help fill in some of the holes. The goal here is to eventually feature every mountain in the world!

Scott
http://peakery.com
DenneyR
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DenneyR »

Criticism is OK...let's give the guy credit....it looks like the start of a great page.......positive feedback is even better.

quite an undertaking in my opinion.

I agree with not liking the term "peak bagging". It sounds to me like something has been conquered or beaten.........I feel we should feel honored that the mountain allowed us our accomplishment on its turf.

I'm a novice, so what do I know.......just my own thoughts...............
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

I like the matterhorn logo
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

DenneyR wrote:I agree with not liking the term "peak bagging". It sounds to me like something has been conquered or beaten
Completely agree with this statement. I would suggest saying "peak climbed" in reference to a specific peak climbed and mountaineering for a general term referencing the activity of climbing peaks.

That said, Scott you have created the beginning of a very nice website. Way to go! =D> =D>
bfsmith
14ers: 40 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by bfsmith »

Love the site. Everything seems to working except it appears that the only "Bio" info that is saved is "Email Address." Nothing else I type in gets saved - URL, Fav Peak, etc.
dskendall
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dskendall »

@bfsmith What browser and version number are you experiencing that problem in? I will troubleshoot.

Huge day yesterday and fixed many bugs. Thanks again for your feedback. Please keep checking the site as it evolves.
Scott
http://peakery.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Looks nice... but I think the data needs some work. If you're going to go with the "peak bagger" theme - and I have no personal issue with that at all - then you should include all the peaks on all the lists (or at least the most popular lists) that peak baggers use.

I tried to log *just* my ranked peaks above 13K and couldn't find: Point 13,248, Holy Cross Ridge (a Colorado Centennial), Point 13,768', The Citadel, Hoosier Ridge, Gibbs Peak, Point 13541, Point 13580, Point 13317, The Unicorn, or Phoenix Peak (the Mineral County Highpoint - so peakbaggers will be looking for that one too!)

You have one Geissler Mountain, but there are actually two "Geissler" 13ers: West and East.

"Three Apostles" is actually three separate, ranked 13ers: Ice Mountain, West Apostle and North Apostle - and Ice and North are Centennials. I found Ice, but North and West are missing. Again, peak baggers will want those on the list.

Flat Top is a 12er, not an 11er. And while you're working on the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, you should consider adding Northwest Orno. It's not ranked, but it is the Rio Blanco county highpoint.

Also, consider adding *unranked* peaks that are going to be on most peak baggers' lists: county highpoints like East Crestone, and unranked 14ers like Colorado's South Little Bear and West Evans, for example.

I would add a lot more categories, too: county highpoints, ultra-prominence peaks, national park highpoints, etc.

For true peak baggers, you're going to have a tough time competing with the existing data-rich sites, some of which have already successfully built a sense of community within their audience through forums: LoJ, Peakbagger, SummitPost, highpointers.org and cohp.org, but I think the ease of use and interaction with Facebook and Twitter - and the inclusion of peaks outside the U.S. - will attract a certain crowd.

Good luck with the site, Scott.