Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
tmathews
Posts: 3856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby tmathews » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:44 am

javy20040 wrote:Sounds good!

which trail-head, Rainbow Trail at the winter closure?


The lower TH parking area. It's a little over 2 miles to get to the Rainbow Trail from there.
User avatar
javy20040
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby javy20040 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am

Saturday looks sunny with a high of 28 degrees and 5-15 miles wind, and \:D/ 3-5 inches of new snow tomorrow Friday.
That is nice!!!!
The Mountains, my passion!
The love of the mountains is in my heart, which spreads to the blood which I bleed.
The passion of climbing is in my skin, which is shed when I sweat.
Climbing mountains isn't something that you do; it's a part of you.
tmathews
Posts: 3856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby tmathews » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:49 am

Lost one of the group, so I'm hoping one or two folks might not have made plans for tomorrow yet. Still planning on starting between 5:15-5:30. Weather looks awesome!
User avatar
mtgirl
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:33 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby mtgirl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I was in the Wetmore area today, and the Sangres were socked in with clouds. Some good precip (rain/sleet) fell in Wetmore, so I'd expect some fresh snow for Humboldt. Enjoy !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
tmathews
Posts: 3856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby tmathews » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Success on Humboldt today. :mrgreen:

The NOAA/NWS forecast was pretty accurate -- but the elevation is for below treeline. There were WILD winds above treeline and I had to practically crawl to the summit cairn. There wasn't any new snow at the TH and maybe an inch higher up on the road and along the ridge. There is a great trench right now for anyone thinking of heading up there.

MANY thanks to Javier for accompanying me today. Dave (crestoner), if you happen by this thread -- it was great meeting you!
Attachments
crestones_humboldtwinter01.jpg
Sorry -- the best I could do with all the wind up there!
crestones_humboldtwinter01.jpg (237.57 KiB) Viewed 469 times
User avatar
Yikes
Posts: 718
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby Yikes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:13 pm

grats terry. sounds like you had to work at it (again). wish us luck tomorrow - hopefully the winds won't be as brutal.
tmathews
Posts: 3856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby tmathews » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Yikes wrote:grats terry. sounds like you had to work at it (again). wish us luck tomorrow - hopefully the winds won't be as brutal.


Are you doing Humboldt tomorrow or Pikes? I thought I saw you post in that Pikes thread....
tmathews
Posts: 3856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby tmathews » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Some video.

User avatar
Carl
Posts: 1878
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 8:30 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby Carl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Nice you were able to grab the summit today Terry. I assume that was you who sent me the text message with the pic of Humbolt? Thanks!

Tried to ski Columbia today but had to turn around about 200 feet from the summit (after starting at 8,700ft via Frenchman Creek) cause I was getting zapped pretty badly. Lots of electricity in the air I guess. Winds were intense. Fun day though with a good group.
tmathews
Posts: 3856
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby tmathews » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Wesley wrote:Nice you were able to grab the summit today Terry. I assume that was you who sent me the text message with the pic of Humbolt? Thanks!

Tried to ski Columbia today but had to turn around about 200 feet from the summit (after starting at 8,700ft via Frenchman Creek) cause I was getting zapped pretty badly. Lots of electricity in the air I guess. Winds were intense. Fun day though with a good group.


Yeah, hope you didn't mind. That southeast flank gully still isn't skiable....

humboSEflankgully01.jpg
Looking down Humboldt's southeast flank gully.
humboSEflankgully01.jpg (337.25 KiB) Viewed 976 times
User avatar
Dancesatmoonrise
Posts: 2142
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 am

Terry, congrats to you and Javier on a hard-won summit yesterday.
User avatar
hollamby
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Humboldt Re-do, 3/5

Postby hollamby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 pm

tmathews wrote:
Wesley wrote:Nice you were able to grab the summit today Terry. I assume that was you who sent me the text message with the pic of Humbolt? Thanks!

Tried to ski Columbia today but had to turn around about 200 feet from the summit (after starting at 8,700ft via Frenchman Creek) cause I was getting zapped pretty badly. Lots of electricity in the air I guess. Winds were intense. Fun day though with a good group.


Yeah, hope you didn't mind. That southeast flank gully still isn't skiable....



Maybe after Monday night it will be, this storm should load the Sangre's up.
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Return to “Climbing Connection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests