Battling the Banshees

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Battling the Banshees

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Making headway through heavy gusts and spindrift on North Massive's east ridge, February 22, 2011.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Battling the Banshees

Post by highpilgrim »

That's a great pic.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Excellent photo. Did you zero out the color or is the scene actually that monochromatic?
JayMiller
14ers: 28 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JayMiller »

Great print. What camera did you use? I am using a Nikon and it does have the dynamic range to record both the detail you obtained in the upper zones of the snow and still record detail in the lower zones in the rocks.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

That's a SWEET photo, Jim!
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Thanks, guys. Rob, it was shot in color, jpeg, and desaturated in photoshop. Jay, it's actually an inexpensive point-n-shoot, a Canon SX110.
strongmelon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strongmelon »

Great photo!

Frame this and send it to me. Don't use a cheap frame. Get out a crowbar and pry your wallet open. Splurge a little because I only display high quality prints.

Attach an engraved caption: "Strongmelon Soloing Everest."

Thanks in advance.
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Mongrelsnot: After a stumble for a few days, you're making a comeback buddy! Keep it up.

Dance: having attended a fine arts school, where we have to always critique every piece of art we see, how about you paint one or two items in a color, like your gloves and backpack in red or yellow? Perfect as is, but just a suggestion to make it less so.
Moboy56
14ers: 3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Moboy56 »

Sweet pic! use my name instead of melon's and send it to me! kidding aside, that is one GREAT picture! =D>
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London
Lefty
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lefty »

That is just beautiful. I can not stop looking at it.
Great job. It really conveys the feeling of being there.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain

Not all those who wander are lost.
- J. R. R. Tolkien
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Seriously awesome photo. It really puts you right there in every aspect (I'm shivering while I sit at my computer)! This single photo may force me to start buying winter gear an get in the game instead of waiting around for summer! :lol: This shot is the epitome of adventure to me, thanks for posting.

Bring the color back into that pack or jacket and then send it in to either respective company and see if they would buy it!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Sweet photo!!!!
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08