Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

What date works best for you?

March 26
1
4%
April 2
1
4%
April 9
0
No votes
April 16
2
8%
April 30
1
4%
May 7
15
58%
May 14
6
23%
 
Total votes: 26
User avatar
Gueza
Posts: 634
Joined: 11/24/2007
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (49)
14ers in Winter (11)
13er Checklist (5)

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby Gueza » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:43 pm

crossfitter wrote:Missouri on April 16th might be a good choice. If the snow conditions are right, the north face couloirs would be a fun alternate route.


+1
"Every summit is within reach as long as you just keep climbing"
User avatar
mennoguy
Posts: 64
Joined: 8/20/2006
14er Checklist (42)
13er Checklist (265)

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby mennoguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 pm

April 9 works best for me, I'm partial to 12ers and 13ers so I would throw the Buffalo Peak group out there or Homestake Peak.
User avatar
dmccool
Posts: 531
Joined: 6/11/2008
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (20)

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby dmccool » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:26 pm

I love the idea of the Missouri couloirs. CR 390 should be accessible - plus if 4WD is still necessary maybe folks can carpool from BV.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
User avatar
bif
Posts: 138
Joined: 2/16/2010
14er Checklist (2)

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby bif » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

hello
"I wish I would have added "Just consider Horn Fork Basin on March 19-20 the Gathering", as many will be planning for that weekend, and it certainly could be considered if enough people prefer that idea."


Where do you vote for this date?

bif
kaiman
Posts: 1108
Joined: 5/3/2006
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby kaiman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 pm

bif wrote:hello
"I wish I would have added "Just consider Horn Fork Basin on March 19-20 the Gathering", as many will be planning for that weekend, and it certainly could be considered if enough people prefer that idea."


Where do you vote for this date?

bif


bif,

Login and you should see the option to vote appear at the top of the page.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
User avatar
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Posts: 7525
Joined: 7/25/2004
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)
Contact:

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm

bif wrote:hello
"I wish I would have added "Just consider Horn Fork Basin on March 19-20 the Gathering", as many will be planning for that weekend, and it certainly could be considered if enough people prefer that idea."


Where do you vote for this date?

bif

If you're using the Mobile version of the forum, polling is not visible yet. Working on it tonight...
"I have made it through the things others would surely die just watching"
- Megadeth
User avatar
USAKeller
Moderator
Posts: 1640
Joined: 8/4/2005
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (24)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (109)
Contact:

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby USAKeller » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

KeithK wrote:Since one person asked, and to celebrate the glory that is spring, and the demise of winter*, it's time to plan the big official unofficial not-sponsored-by 14ers.com Spring Gathering!

*underlined selections may reflect the extremely prejudiced opinion of the author.

Hahaha Keith! You just enjoy rubbing it in to us snow fanatics don't you :wink:. Although, springtime brings a lot of snow on the high peaks!
User avatar
KeithK
Posts: 1229
Joined: 12/28/2006
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (20)
Contact:

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby KeithK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 pm

USAKeller wrote:
KeithK wrote:Since one person asked, and to celebrate the glory that is spring, and the demise of winter*, it's time to plan the big official unofficial not-sponsored-by 14ers.com Spring Gathering!

*underlined selections may reflect the extremely prejudiced opinion of the author.

Hahaha Keith! You just enjoy rubbing it in to us snow fanatics don't you :wink:. Although, springtime brings a lot of snow on the high peaks!


Oh Caroline, I'm so misunderstood! I LOVE snow! After it melts.

Bif, I think you're confusing my statement. There is an overnight trip planned for March 19 in Horn Fork; there is a thread for it. What I was getting at was that if people wanted to just consider that instead of two trips, that would certainly be okay. I didn't ask Steve if he would mind...
Snow is dumb.™
User avatar
hollamby
Posts: 430
Joined: 11/7/2009
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (6)

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby hollamby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Put in for the 26th but open to the other times as well. I like KC/Challenger idea.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
User avatar
Kevin Baker
Posts: 828
Joined: 5/19/2005
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (50)
13er Checklist (597)
Contact:

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby Kevin Baker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Not to reign on people's parades, but north facing couloirs would probably be suspect in March or April, although snow tends to consolidate earlier in the Sangres. KC/Challenger would be a formidable challenge in either of those months. Will be interesting to see what peak/s are picked. My vote is for a 13er or two that I haven't done. :D
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
User avatar
kansas
Posts: 673
Joined: 7/20/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby kansas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:35 am

Kevin Baker wrote:Not to reign on people's parades, but north facing couloirs would probably be suspect in March or April, although snow tends to consolidate earlier in the Sangres. KC/Challenger would be a formidable challenge in either of those months.


My thoughts exactly, Kevin. Why can't we just do this in May?! The climbing would be much more enjoyable...get it together Keith. :P
(and yes, I'm still sad about the dates you picked)
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
tmathews
Posts: 3852
Joined: 7/2/2008
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Poll: Date for Spring Gathering

Postby tmathews » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 am

kansas wrote:My thoughts exactly, Kevin. Why can't we just do this in May?! The climbing would be much more enjoyable...get it together Keith. :P
(and yes, I'm still sad about the dates you picked)


An early May date might give us better access to more trailheads/campgrounds, so I'd be down for that idea.

Return to “Climbing Connection”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KatieFinn and 10 guests