Silverthorne/East Thorn (Gore Range)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Silverthorne/East Thorn (Gore Range)

Post by TravelingMatt »

How the hell do you climb these? Attempted this today by via Salmon Lake and Point 13130 ("Rain Peak"). It was a pretty easy walk up to 13130 but beyond that it was too jagged and class fivey for my blood. Made it across three or four gendarmes but couldn't get all the way through. Once you get to the 13130/Silverthorn col it looks like you're home free, and the traverse over to East Thorn looks no harder than moderate Class 3.

This annoys me because I see East Thorn every day and need to climb it.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Silverthorne/East Thorn (Gore Range)

Post by traderaaron »

From near Gore Lake, http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ow-bm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Not really helpful regarding an eastern approach; was hoping for info from someone who has actually climbed it. (I had in fact looked at that page earlier when planning my route.) I guess the western approach is the way to go.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jesse Peterson »

To climb Silverthorne and East Thorn from Salmon Lake, it's easiest to bypass "Rain Peak" altogether. Just head west up the drainage from the lake, staying near the creek until you reach the upper headwall. This involves some talus hopping but it's mellow. There are some cliff bands on the headwall but you can traverse grassy ledges--for the most part--up to the gentler slope below Silverthorne. From S'thorne to E. Thorn is a very fun ridge run. Stiff class 3 depending on your route. The final few moves along the ridge to get to the summit are really fun and exposed. Lots of air on that east side.

The ridge from Rain Pk. over to Silverthorne looks tough indeed. I've scoped it from a few different angles and it looks like a rope would be helpful for sure.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screefieldstevie »

I'm very interested in hearing more information about East Thorn.......it looks wicked hard...............You mean it doesn't excede Class 3????
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jesse Peterson »

screefieldstevie wrote:You mean it doesn't excede Class 3????
This is correct, if you are careful with your routefinding. There are some exposed moves for sure though, especially right near the summit. Just go with the usual scrambling mantra: If in doubt, backtrack and find a better way. East Thorn is definitely one of my favorite summits. Not only do you have a sweet view of the central Gores and the burly 'Red Diamond' ridge on Red, but the Blue River valley just falls away below you to the east. Pretty incredible spot.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra
screefieldstevie
Trip Reports (0)

Jesse Peterson wrote:
This is correct, if you are careful with your routefinding. There are some exposed moves for sure though, especially right near the summit. Just go with the usual scrambling mantra: If in doubt, backtrack and find a better way. East Thorn is definitely one of my favorite summits. Not only do you have a sweet view of the central Gores and the burly 'Red Diamond' ridge on Red, but the Blue River valley just falls away below you to the east. Pretty incredible spot.
Im trying to get more comfortable with Class 3.......for the 4th try I'm going to do Kelso tomorrow (no exceptions) with about 100 other people also :roll:......can you compare the Thorn's difficulties to another 14er route??? I would love to give it a go........If I don't make it this summer, it's definitely top notch on my list next summer
screefieldstevie
Trip Reports (0)

Jesse Peterson wrote:
Im trying to get more comfortable with Class 3.......for the 4th try I'm going to do Kelso tomorrow (it's been one thing or another getting it together) with about 100 other people also :roll:......can you compare the Thorn's difficulties to another 14er route??? I would love to give it a go........If I don't make it this summer, it's definitely top notch on my list next summer
stanwagon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stanwagon »

The ridge from Rain to Silverthorne is a beauty and I have done it many times, in both directions, both with a rope and, finally today, without a rope. Since my last time was 1998 I had a hard time today remembering the right way around all the towers, but we figured it out. Starting from Rain, one quickly comes to a crux section, but one can get down along the ridgetop to the top of a 5.5 slab and then make a sharp right turn to avoid it via a 4th class descent. Today I missed that and went down the harder slab (little scary), but walking back I saw the easier way for my partner.

After that the towers were confusing and we had some backtracking but eventually figured out that the N side traverse, dropping a little, was the way to go, and it all goes on Class 3 grassy ledges and some Class 3 upclimbing to regain the ridge. Great fun and we were happy to be back at the car by 3:30.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

stanwagon wrote:The ridge from Rain to Silverthorne is a beauty and I have done it many times, in both directions, both with a rope and, finally today, without a rope. Since my last time was 1998 I had a hard time today remembering the right way around all the towers, but we figured it out. Starting from Rain, one quickly comes to a crux section, but one can get down along the ridgetop to the top of a 5.5 slab and then make a sharp right turn to avoid it via a 4th class descent. Today I missed that and went down the harder slab (little scary), but walking back I saw the easier way for my partner.

After that the towers were confusing and we had some backtracking but eventually figured out that the N side traverse, dropping a little, was the way to go, and it all goes on Class 3 grassy ledges and some Class 3 upclimbing to regain the ridge. Great fun and we were happy to be back at the car by 3:30.
Ah so that answers the question of those who came before. The ascending crack/ledge at the crux section is quite airy. Kudos on going down that thing - I would've chickened out and begged for a rap. Lordhelmut wrote it up here: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

The best comparison between East Thorne and a 14er route is probably the final ridge to the Mt. Wilson summit. Not that similar but fairly close. Very fun though and awesome views.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Holy smokes!
Stanwagon is on 14ers.com!
This is huge!
Stanwagon, you are a legend.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes