Overdue Climbers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CCSARCAP
Trip Reports (0)

Overdue Climbers

Post by CCSARCAP »

Custer County has begun a search for two overdue climbers in the Ellington Arete area who climbed there either Wednesday or Thursday. A male and female both in their 50's. If you were in the area on either of those days and saw or spoke to them please call us at 719-783-0442.

Thank You

CCSARCAP
Bob
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Overdue Climbers

Post by Doug Shaw »

A member of Douglas was planning to climb the Arete this weekend. I sent him a text with this info as a heads up, but don't know if he has his phone.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Bad news... http://www.39online.com/news/sns-ap-co- ... 9954.story
WESTCLIFFE, Colo. (AP) — A husband and wife from Texas have been found dead after they went missing on a camping trip in Custer County.

The unidentified couple was found dead Sunday afternoon, apparent victims of a climbing fall.

Bob Pruiksma (PROO-iks-ma), captain of Custer County Search & Rescue, says the couple appeared to have been dead "several days." The couple's son reported them missing Saturday after they failed to return from a camping trip near Crestone Needle.
RIP
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

That stinks - RIP. :(

Seems to be a lot of these this summer. More accidents, or more media coverage?
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Ugh. It's very hard to hear about another fatal accident. :(
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
54summits
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 54summits »

It's always hard to read about deaths in the mountains, but for some reason it's just additionally saddening to me when I hear that it was a husband/wife team :(

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the deceased.

-54s
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

CCSARCAP wrote:Custer County has begun a search for two overdue climbers in the Ellington Arete area who climbed there either Wednesday or Thursday. A male and female both in their 50's. If you were in the area on either of those days and saw or spoke to them please call us at 719-783-0442.

Thank You

CCSARCAP
Any info on the cause of their deaths? I assume they fell while climbing the Ellingwood Arete (not the Ellington Arete as stated by the OP)?
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

kaiman wrote:Any info on the cause of their deaths? I assume they fell while climbing the Ellingwood Arete (not the Ellington Arete as stated by the OP)?

At this point it's like the OP is still involved in the recovery effort. Be patient; details will likely come out.
CCSARCAP
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CCSARCAP »

Yes, Ellingwood Arete--Not Ellington.

Both bodies have been recovered and taken out via FFL Lifeguard 4. Teams are leaving the upper lot and should be back in a couple of hours. Lots of damage on the approaches to Arete and Brokenhand Pass due to heavy rainfall. Team members haven't seen this in years. Mud is several feet deep in areas. We hooked up with members of Douglas County mid morning.
CCSARCAP
Bob
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

CCSARCAP wrote:Both bodies have been recovered and taken out via FFL Lifeguard 4. Teams are leaving the upper lot and should be back in a couple of hours. Lots of damage on the approaches to Arete and Brokenhand Pass due to heavy rainfall. Team members haven't seen this in years. Mud is several feet deep in areas. We hooked up with members of Douglas County mid morning.
CCSARCAP
Thanks for the updates, Bob. Most importantly -- thank you and CCSAR for the service that you continue to provide the mountaineering community.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Terrible news. My thoughts are with their loved ones.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

tmathews wrote:Thanks for the updates, Bob. Most importantly -- thank you and CCSAR for the service that you continue to provide the mountaineering community.
Agreed - you guys don't get nearly the admiration which you deserve. Prayers for the families of those who didn't make it.