Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by travis19877 »

Everyone, I've already received 320$ in cash just in person! When the paypal account goes up hopefully sometime today, im expecting that number to skyrocket!

To Echo Britt's statement:
Onwards and Upwards!
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I was away when this happened and couldn't believe it when I heard the awful news. I met Kevin several times on the peaks and thought he was a great guy.

I'm sure he will be missed by many, many people.

so sad
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

greenwok wrote:
We love you!

Travis - I can see why you and Kevin spent so much time together hiking and climbing - above all keep the legacy of Kevin's example of following ever so closely after the heart of his, your, our God. We love you!

We love you Kevin, and look forward to that day when we will see you face-to-face once again.

Onwards!
For those of you who were not at the "celebration service," one of the speakers challenged all of us, to tell those we care about that we love them. How often do we just rush though life and not say "I love you." It was a good reminder of what's important....because life can be short and we don't know when it will end.
KirkT
14ers: 58  5 
Trip Reports (23)

Post by KirkT »

Wow, I like Bill was in Texas last week on vacation while this occurred. My condolences go out to his family and hiking partner. From what I read, you made the right decision. I had the pleasure of leading him down the Needle last fall with KeithK. He was a very youthful person who never had a quiet moment. He was quite the chatty one. We had some great discussions that day on our descent. You will be missed.

KirkT

This was one of the pictures I took that day while descending the Needle. Kevin is the second hiker in this picture looking upwards. Rest in Peace bro.
wildlobo71
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

travis19877 wrote:Everyone, I've already received 320$ in cash just in person! When the paypal account goes up hopefully sometime today, im expecting that number to skyrocket!

Onwards and Upwards!
Kevin, contact me if you want to deposit that cash in the WF bank we set up, otherwise see my link below - the PayPal is working! We already have over $300 in donations right now - just through PayPal.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

wildlobo71 wrote:
travis19877 wrote:Everyone, I've already received 320$ in cash just in person! When the paypal account goes up hopefully sometime today, im expecting that number to skyrocket!

Onwards and Upwards!
Kevin, contact me if you want to deposit that cash in the WF bank we set up, otherwise see my link below - the PayPal is working! We already have over $300 in donations right now - just through PayPal.

Whats the paypal link/email? I'm sure once i post that on facebook this should explode.. I have 280$ in cash to donate when i get the chance to stop at a bank.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
TylerStorm
14ers: 22 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by TylerStorm »

I don't know what to say! I've been out of Colorado for a while and just found this out today! I climbed with him several times. This is terrible! He was such a great guy! R.I.P.
Wisdom is the quality of being able to avoid situations where you need it. not sure

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. Henry David Thoreau
wildlobo71
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

travis19877 wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:

Onwards and Upwards!

Whats the paypal link/email? I'm sure once i post that on facebook this should explode.. I have 280$ in cash to donate when i get the chance to stop at a bank.
I'll email it to you, it's rather long... but the actual link is on the bottom of my signature line.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

I don't know why, but I've been thinking of Kevin and his family quite a lot today. Maybe it's because I'll be in the Sangre's this weekend....

I was another who was regrettably unable to attend the memorial service. I never met Kevin, but I wanted to be there to support his family. He showed a great faith and was obviously a witness for us all. I can't imagine what it's like for his family if someone who never had the opportunity to meet him is struggling tonight....despite knowing he is with our Lord & Savior.

Travis, email incoming....
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I just heard on the news that the Army's Chinook helicopter has been recovered. Kudos to them and for the emergency support that they frequently provide.

EDIT: Apparently, they're just starting the recovery effort http://www.9news.com/news/local/article ... &catid=346
Damaged Chinook helicopter seen from Little Bear's Southwest Ridge on 6/20/10
Damaged Chinook helicopter seen from Little Bear's Southwest Ridge on 6/20/10
chinook_littlebear01a.jpg (281.27 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
CHRandall72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CHRandall72 »

My sincerest condolences go out to Kevin's family and to Travis. This is a very sad situation.

With that said, I implore all involved in the situation not to put a plaque anywhere on the mountain. We have already (as a society) put way too many plaques on the hills, destroying the purity and pristine nature of these peaks. Let's respect and honor Kevin in every way possible, but please don't litter the mountains with another plaque.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

CHRandall72 wrote:My sincerest condolences go out to Kevin's family and to Travis. This is a very sad situation.

With that said, I implore all involved in the situation not to put a plaque anywhere on the mountain. We have already (as a society) put way too many plaques on the hills, destroying the purity and pristine nature of these peaks. Let's respect and honor Kevin in every way possible, but please don't litter the mountains with another plaque.
I believe Travis has already decided not to put the plaque up there.