Planning on hiking Blodgett Peak tonight

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
smham33
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Planning on hiking Blodgett Peak tonight

Post by smham33 »

How much time should we give ourselves? I was thinking about 3 hours round trip. Looks to be a beautiful evening though - can't wait to get up there.

Any other tidbits would be appreciated. Thanks!
kuglerd
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Planning on hiking Blodgett Peak tonight

Post by kuglerd »

3 hours should be good if you're going from the open space parking area at the west end of Woodmen. If you are going up from the AFA, you'll need significantly more than that, probably 4-5 hours. Weather looks great. Enjoy!
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

Just be advised that the city of Colo. Spgs. (which controls the Open Space parking lot) declares it "closed" at night and forbids overnight parking. Weather does indeed look great, and I wish you well, but don't be surprised if you return to find a very expensive ticket on your windshield. (Hell, for all I know, they might even tow your car!)
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

3 hours sounds reasonable for an average and 2.5 is going at a descent pace, 2 hours is really fast and 3.5 to 4 hours is slow but not unreasonable. Good luck on the vast amount of trails around there. My advice on best route is to stay in the ravine way longer than you think you should be, literally until there is no trail. Then, cut up on one of the trails up the hill and follow the ridge up to the backside of the summit. If you don't go this way, you have to cross the boulder field and then tons of loose loose loose sand and dirt. If you hit a waterfall or cliff in the ravine, you went too far and you need to turn right/uphill/south and head up from there until you hit the ridge and then turn right/east.

May want to take some small papers and a new pencil for the summit register!

Best of luck to you.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
smham33
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smham33 »

Thanks for the info everybody. I recently moved about a half mile from the Blodgett Peak Open Space lot, so that's where we'll leave from. We might just walk there if there's a possibility of a ticket.

Thanks for the route information. I hear the trail gets a little hard to find, so we'll follow your directions.
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

hike toward the water tower and then just cut up above it. you'll see the trail. the actual hike to Blodgett isn't part of the open space trails. i think it's national forest.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

smham33 wrote:I hear the trail gets a little hard to find, so we'll follow your directions.
That's putting it mildly. Getting to the water tower is easy. Not far beyond that, however, the trail gets indistinct and/or braided in several places. You can easily take a wrong turn going either up or down. Be careful!
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.