RMNP Winter Camping

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mantana
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

RMNP Winter Camping

Post by Mantana »

My friend and I are looking for a location in Colorado where we could combine winter camping, ice climbing, and backcountry skiing into a single weekend. I was thinking somewhere in RMNP because of its proximity to Denver and the amount of ice climbing possibilities in the park.

Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experience of anything like this in RMNP or elsewhere in Colorado? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
BaronVonBergschrund
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RMNP Winter Camping

Post by BaronVonBergschrund »

Mantana wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions or personal experience of anything like this in RMNP or elsewhere in Colorado?
In RMNP you could camp at the Andrews Creek (#040) backcountry site just past the Loch, coming from the Bear Lake trailhead. You could ice climb at Loch Vale and then ski at the Terrain Park all in one trip. I am assuming you can evaluate avalanche conditions properly, as the possibility ice climbing and the skiing in RMNP are largely determined by the conditions.

The San Juans have better ice. There is much more of it around Silverton and Ouray, and backcountry (and sidecountry) skiing is abundant. Again, many of these ice climbing areas (excepting the Ouray Ice Park) could have avalanche danger, especially in the Silverton/Eureka areas.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Re: RMNP Winter Camping

Post by Winter8000m »

Ice conditions in RMNP are very LEAN this year including Loch Vale, All Mixed Up and etc. If your a mixed climber, then these would be good conditions. (depending on avy danger of course) But if your a ice climber alone I would head somewhere else. One option in the RMNP though is the Black Lake, West Gully Route. It's rated at WI4- and has 5 pitches. You would have to rapel off a V thread. You could also bag Mchenrys peak for one long day. It's a pretty long approach though. But would make a great overnight trip.

Otherwise, head to Vail. Which is pretty close to Denver and has AMAZING ice climbing but a little crowded at times or the Ouray/Telluride area. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find out your prefered climb. But a lot of them have avy danger on top waiting to unload. As always asses conditions when your there.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)