Twin Sisters Peaks winter hiking in RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Twin Sisters Peaks winter hiking in RMNP

Post by My-Therapy »

Hello, I'm considering hiking the Twin Sisters Peaks in RMNP this weekend and have looked on the internet for information on weather or not this is a safe hike in winter and how easy the trail is to find in the winter time, but have been unable to find much specific winter info. Does anyone have experience hiking to West Twin Sister Peak in the winter? Does anyone know the current conditions on the Twin Sisters Peaks or what if any the avy danger might be? Thanks for any info. -J. Hart
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Twin Sisters Peaks winter hiking in RMNP

Post by Brian C »

I have been up there a bunch in the winter. It's one of my surefire winter mountains in all but the worst weather. On the upper plateau after you cross between national land and forest land and before treeline is the only place where the trail can be tricky to follow in fresh snow or bad conditions. But there is almost always a path beaten down that makes it impossible to get lost. Usually you can get by without snowshoes with how traveled it is but I always carry them just in case. I was last up there 2 weeks ago and carried mine to the summit without putting them on. No avy danger but you're still out in the winter so be prepared for the conditions. Hope that helps.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

+1 on the Twin Sisters

Greenhouseguy, Slow moving fun seeker and myself were there in November for a great hike. If you feel like bushwhacking and have the time its well worth the effort to get to the South Sister. We went east then south off of the east summit and didn't encounter a lot of snow. Its a fun scramble to the South Sister which doesn't exceed Class 2, unless you want it to. There's a rib coming down north from the summit but if you stay to the west of it, the route is fairly easy. Greenhouseguy found a cairn about halfway up the rib and scrambled to the top of the ridge and went that Class 3 route to the summit but it wasn't very long.
Have fun.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

+2

Nice hike. Beautiful views of Longs and Meeker. Forget if the other two mentioned it or not but once you get to the saddle, the high point is to the left (east).
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

The gentlemen above have it right. Great mountain. And I wouldn't be too concerned about avy danger on it - the slopes are relatively benign. Sounds like this year's snowpack is sketchy in places, so use your judgement when there. I haven't hiked it recently and have no current condition to provide. But on April 11 last year, it looked like this...

The upper slope.

Through the trees.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Jen and I climbed it last Sunday. Snow was pretty shallow so we didn't need snowshoes. No avy danger. And the trail was fairly easy to follow. As saxmotor mentioned above, there's one section where it levels out where it can be tricky because of drifts and snow blowing over previous tracks, but as of Sunday it was pretty obvious where to go.

A little higher up, most people take a winter shortcut straight up 100 feet or so of snow/trees to avoid a long switchback to the left. You'll probably see tracks. Otherwise the winter route pretty much follows the summer route exactly.

The trail can be icy in spots so traction (Yaktrax, Stabilicers, etc.) might be helpful. I also recommend trekking poles w/baskets. And dress warm. It was 5-15 degrees for us. But luckily, very little wind.

My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

Wow, Thanks so much to everyone for all the replies and information sent! I'm really looking forward to the hike this Sunday. :P
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

I was up there last Saturday. Like Aubrey said...no big deal. We ran it in running shoes...no traction / no floation...neither was needed. No avy danger anywhere. Trail was easy to follow then. Have fun, it's a great short little jaunt with great views.