Dog breeds for hiking/running

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LIV
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Dog breeds for hiking/running

Post by LIV »

Love the idea of sleeping bag for your dog!! And the fact that he carries it himself. I had two labs who hiked with me often. Once, up at Kite Lake, the temperature got down so low in my tent that they were both shivering and whining. Those two have now passed away from old age after quite a few fouteeners.

I have since bought a tent heater for car camping, but a sleeping bag will do nice for my new lab (pictured here). He did his first ascent of a 14er on about 2 months ago, Evans via Echo Lake, when he was 10 months old. He'll be a year in March.

Funny thing though, he has no issues about climbing anything that I'm climbing and will do his darndest not to leave my side (this is OK while we are just scrambling stuff, but it is unnerving when I'm sending a Shelf Road route). He actually will get a portion of the way up what I'm climbing -- like a mountain goat. I should nickname him "goat".
Attachments
Juma submit.jpg
Juma submit.jpg (71.75 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Ive brought sleeping bags for my guy and can't seem to get him to stay in and/or under it. He just doesn't get it I guess.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

mountainmicah83 wrote:
Ive brought sleeping bags for my guy and can't seem to get him to stay in and/or under it. He just doesn't get it I guess.
I just bring an inflatable sleeping pad for my dog. Two sleeping pads are easier to pack in than a dog bed and a sleeping pad. When deflated, they compress well into a backpack. The pad keeps his body off the cold ground - something beneficial for all dogs, especially older ones. Then I just drop my jacket over him at night if he's cold.

I don't know if this will help but it might be worth a try. Plus you won't have to carry extra sleeping bags or blankets (which can be heavy or problematic when wet) when you hike into camp.

You may also consider a doggie jacket which he can wear when he sleeps. They are lightweight and also easy to pack. You can clip the jacket to the outside of your pack for your hike into camp. Ruff Wear sells many of them. Sawyer uses the K-9 Overcoat. The link is below if you are interested.

http://www.ruffwear.com/K-9-Overcoat-2?sc=2&category=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Josh
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
njwhite
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by njwhite »

mountainmicah83 wrote:Ive brought sleeping bags for my guy and can't seem to get him to stay in and/or under it. He just doesn't get it I guess.
I have had the same issues, my dog will lay on things but not in them, she also refuses to wear a dog sweater or jacket. She just puts her tail between her legs and acts as if she is being punished. I agree with inky, I cut down an old foam ridgerest and bring that for her to lay on which keeps her insulated. Normally she is curled up right against me so I'm sure we share some heat as well!
nancyb
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nancyb »

I have a wolf/Malamute/siberian husky hybrid that is awesome! He can go 20 miles and be ready to go farther. I hike alone at times and wanted protection as well as company. He only barks if there is someone he perceives as a threat. They are pack oriented so socializing is important and it is hard for them to be alone at home for a long period of time.

My boyfriend had a hybrid that had more mountain sense than most people--she trained my dog as a pup in the mountains and now he is in his prime at 4 years old. They seem to know what rocks they can climb and what to avoid. He has never had any trouble with altitude--did his first 14er at 3-4 months in the winter--Lincoln.

The hair when shedding is beyond belief, but they are bred for the winter and the mountains...would do it again in a heartbeat...
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

http://www.wbcrescue.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rescue dogs!! Border collie rescue group. You know the bio's on the dogs before you even get to meet them. We adopted the most amazing dog in February!! She is 1 1/2, crate trained and housebroke and has great manners. She runs about 15 miles weekly with me and is always ready to hike and climb. She has a great off switch.
Swissy
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Swissy »

There are some Swissys that are very healthy and active, but do your research on the breeder. My boy Bridger is very active. We skijor race, so far he has climbed 9 14ers, and he weight pulls. He runs with me every other day and hikes on on the off days. As a brag for him-He holds the GSMD weight pull record at 4009.8 pounds:)
This weekend he climbed Torys and Gray. They are very heat sensitive, so spring climbs are great!
blaine_train
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blaine_train »

I realize that the original post has long past. I was researching to make sure my dog would be okay on Grey's and Torrey's.

I would say for Pure Bred dogs, look at the AKC's website. Familiarize yourself with the different breeds and the different breed catagories. Working Breed dogs are generally a good place to start.

As for Mixed breed dogs the AKC's website is still a good place to look. Especially if you know some of the breeds that make up your dog.
badger
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by badger »

What a stud of a dog!!! Male Boxer, named Tabasco
Attachments
iphone 115.gif
iphone 115.gif (127.78 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
ktimm
14ers: 24 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ktimm »

It's hard to argue with a border collie or aussie however, I've done 20 mile days and a lot of trail runs with a mini wiener dog.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

I have done a lot of trails with Cairn terriers, not as impressive as the "big" dogs but still.....it is also hard to keep them from running off after things or digging holes looking for whatever dogs look for in holes and at times you have help them over some of the larger rocks(short legs) but they do fairly well.

And if you have to end up carrying them down the hil they are not that heavy, actually fit fairly well in a back pack.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

Here's a couple of 14ers with Einstein my Cairn Terrier:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.