Bringing a dog on the Sawtooth

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SummitCKR67
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Bringing a dog on the Sawtooth

Post by SummitCKR67 »

Has anyone brought a dog on the Sawtooth traverse between Bierstadt and Evans?
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Bringing a dog on the Sawtooth

Post by sunny1 »

Did the Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans loop in the last month. Unless you stay low on the Sawtooth = class 2, would not bring a dog, IMHO.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Any good scrambling dog would be able to handle it, but if your dog can't do it you won't find out until you're seriously committed.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

sunny1 wrote:Did the Bierstadt-Sawtooth-Evans loop in the last month. Unless you stay low on the Sawtooth = class 2, would not bring a dog, IMHO.
+1
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
Geoff Scheberle
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Geoff Scheberle »

It's not that difficult if your dog has some sense and experience climbing on uneven terrain. Some sections have loose dirt/rocks.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe there's a better route across than the one I took, but there was a section just above the lowest point on the ridge that required some hand over hand climbing to get up. It's not particularly exposed, but your dog would need to be mighty tall to avoid having to be lifted up over it.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

We saw a guy with a normal mid-sized dog coming out of the sawtooth a few weeks ago. I think those claw thingies are actually quite useful for climbing. :D
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
fattyniebs
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fattyniebs »

We did the sawtooth a few weeks back and my buddy brought his dog. Probably not the greatest of ideas, but the midsized dog did make it. Had to be lifted in many spots and will make for a more difficult climb on your part. But like others have said, you'll only know if it's OK by the time you're already committed.

An up for grabs game time decision if you ask me. Good luck.