4 Pass Loop Guidebook

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowDevil
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (1)

4 Pass Loop Guidebook

Post by SnowDevil »

Can anyone recommend a good guidebook for the 4 pass loop in the Marroon Bells Wilderness? I'm considering doing the hike this summer.

Thanks!
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: 4 Pass Loop Guidebook

Post by thebeave7 »

Guidebook?
I don't think you need a guidebook for that hike, its not that long(3-5days) and its been pretty well detailed by many previous trip reports.
Here are a few albums to get you started, and I'm sure people here will happily make suggestions on camping, distances, timing, etc if you ask.

2007 4 Pass Loop trip photos
2008 4 Pass Loop trip photos
Chris's TR and photos from our 2007 Run

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

The best you will get from a guidebook is The Falcon Guide by Molvar (Hiking Colorado's Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness) which provides some basic information but it does so in a real potshot fashion. For starters, there is no mention of "4 Pass Loop" anywhere in the book and the sections of trails you will be hiking are broken up and given names like "North Fork of the Crystal River" or something like that. This was my primary source of info back in '04 and I made it out just fine but I agree with Eric regarding the plethora of trip reports and beta that exist in online communities such as this one.

If you search around this forum you can literally obtain all the info you will need and more (it has been a popular subject in the past). There are questions you will need to answer such as number of nights, where to pitch, clockwise or counter-clockwise, Maroon Creek Road access issues, red tape, etc., and the Molvar book does not go into this much detail.

Good Luck.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
thunderinacircle
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thunderinacircle »

The Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas by Jon Fielder has a description of it, but it is pretty brief.
when the moon first rose tonight, my eyes were met with such a beautiful sight. a feeling deep inside so hard to explain, so familiar yet impossible to name. this is the place where dreams come true, a part of me and a part of you. this is where our spirits fly, on beams of light across the sky...and i'll meet you, in the valley of the full moon. as bright as the sun, in the middle of the afternoon.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Call me a weenie, but I have absolutely no interest in running the 4-pass loop. Backpacking it? Absolutely. It's on my to-do list this summer.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

CorduroyCalves wrote:Call me a weenie, but I have absolutely no interest in running the 4-pass loop. Backpacking it? Absolutely. It's on my to-do list this summer.
I've done it both ways, and actually thought the run was easier than the backpack. Hauling all that crap over 4 big passes really sucked.

Regardless, the info in the run TRs would still be valid for a hike or backpack for the OP though.
azeling
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by azeling »

snow devil- i googled it a few months ago (try both four pass loop and maroon-snowmass loop) and found a couple useful links. mostly it was just trail reports that people had posted on blogs, but still nice info to have.

eric, gorgeous pictures!
“Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien
SnowDevil
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SnowDevil »

Thank you for all that replied. Yeah, I had googled and and saw some trip reports and some great pictures - that's what got me interested in doing to the Loop. I was just trying to get as much info as possible between now and July. Again, I appreciate the sugguestions.
tlerunner
14ers: 27 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tlerunner »

The "Trailrunners Guide to Colorado: 50 Great Trail Runs" has a complete description.