Kingston Peak/St Mary Glacier

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Kingston Peak/St Mary Glacier

Post by zoriloco »

the 4WD Trail is very different from what I see. You guys get off the highway on exit 238 (fall river rd) and park right in front of the under pass about 100 feet off the ramp, right? From there you start the hike. (sorry if im getting it wrong). The way I get to Kingston is make a right on fall river rd till I get to Alice Rd (make a left) then left on Texas Dr and follow that all the way to the top.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

zoriloco wrote:the 4WD Trail is very different from what I see. You guys get off the highway on exit 238 (fall river rd) and park right in front of the under pass about 100 feet off the ramp, right? From there you start the hike. (sorry if im getting it wrong). The way I get to kingston is make a left on fall river rd till I get to Alice Rd then follow Texas dr all the way up to the peak.
I highly doubt anyone is hiking Kingston Peak from I70. 16 to 18 miles of walking on a paved road just doesn't sound like a good time. The 4wd trail you're talking about is the one that takes you to the rock pile that looks down on Lomond right? And then continues on to Rollins Pass or Apex.

To get to the St. Mary's glacier TH Just stay on Fall River (i.e. don't turn left on Alice) and after you pass the old ski area on the left that Coors is trying to develop you'll see the TH. Just pass the TH is a parking area on your left.
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Duhhh I see now... so what are all those cars parked there for? Every time I go I see vehicles parked in that area right in front of the under pass.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

zoriloco wrote:so what are all those cars parked there for? Every time I go I see vehicles parked in that area right in front of the under pass.
I've wondered that same thing myself.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highcountryhiker »

Wesley wrote:
zoriloco wrote:so what are all those cars parked there for? Every time I go I see vehicles parked in that area right in front of the under pass.
I've wondered that same thing myself.
The locals probably use that spot for carpooling.
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all,
I wanted to put out there to everyone, any info about this area I can help you with. I am the owner of the pay lot, moved up here 11 years ago because I was coming up here every weekend anyway! I am working on getting a weather station and website up and running. Anyone can send me a message, I will respond asap. The 27" snow report was laughable, with the wind we really recieved around 6-8' in places, and of course no snow in places.
On a side note: BE CAREFULL FOR FALLING TREES!!! This year we have had more trees, dead or alive, getting blown down roots and all or snapping in half. Have had multiple power outages as a result. At the Sand Dunes National Monument there are these signs that show a guy ducking cover under falling trees, I might have to get some of those for up here.
Have fun up here!!
Paul
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Hello all,
Just wanted to verify the pull-off at I70 & FRR, there is an emergency call phone there, and it can be used for carpooling by anyone, the county will ticket/tow after 72 hours though.
We are supposed to get 10+ " tonight!!!
Paul
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Thanks a lot Paul,

I really enjoy that area. I'm really hoping to get up there sometime this upcoming weekend. Hopefully there will be a bit more snow.
vertical-pimp
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vertical-pimp »

the pimp is planning a trip up bancroft soon (east ridge)

is the parking lot accessible for a '69 Cadillac DeVille convertible or is there too much snow?

would the pimp have to pay extra for a car of this size?
MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

Well, The St Mary's parking lot is usually plowed quite nicely by Paul. However, I'm not sur you would want to park there for Bancroft. I thought the trail for Bancroft went up from near Lochlomond outside of Alice. I could be wrong, I've never climbed it myself.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Vertical-Pimp/Zoriloco: I've been up in the Bancroft area a few times. Yes, the standard parking lot for Bancroft is just past Alice, not the same one at all for St. Mary's. I suppose you could get to Bancroft from St. Mary's and the James Peak area but it'd be waay out of the way.The Bancroft "lot" is super small; depending on how well it's been plowed there's room for only 2-3 cars in the winter (the plows build up a snow berm on the dirt access road up the valley which eliminates parking on that road). Some locals told me last year that the plow drivers apparently don't take kindly to those who park on the main road, it's a narrow road as it is. Probably best to get there early.

The East Ridge is fun, but a bit contrived, ie a solid climber could downclimb the rappel section if necessary, and there's a walk-around/scramble to the right of the fifth class section if you don't want to bring rope/gear. A fun scramble, breezy though.
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

Indeed...I thought it was a really fun route, but you probably don't want to park at St Mary's unless you can't get the hooptie-pimp-ride up to the TH for Bancroft. Would add some significant walking through neighborhoods. I got my old Accord there w/ no problem, even parked it without curb feelers. ;-)

The route itself is pretty fun, at least it was in April. We weren't comfortable w/ the downclimb Tom speaks of, so we rappelled, but I'm a wuss when it comes to that stuff.

Here's some pics if you're interested:
http://www.chrisgerber.com/photos/thumb ... ?album=132

- Chris