hermosa & engineer

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
beegee
Trip Reports (0)

hermosa & engineer

Post by beegee »

We are planning a trip to Durango next summer and are looking at climbing Hermosa Peak and Engineer Mountain. I am having a hard time finding any trip reports or other beta on these mountains. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Any other peaks we should consider around Durnago?

Thanks!
beegee
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Re: hermosa & engineer

Post by CG_old »

Engineer:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html

Looks like Hermosa doesn't have a page over there.
ktimm
14ers: 24 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ktimm »

Might look at Snowdon as well
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Both Engineer & Hermosa are easy, but very rewarding hikes.
The view from atop Engineer matches the peak's impressive profile from US 550 and Purgatory.
With Hermosa, getting there is more than half the battle, as it's a long way from the pavement, and, during hunting season, is surrounded by tent cites teeming with southern accents, beer, and shotguns.
If you go for it, you might consider going after the high 13er Grizzly Peak B, which also lies many miles down the Bolam Pass road.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... php?Id=158

Snowdon is also really nice, with tremendous views and a short, but steep hike/climb.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... php?Id=739

The Pixler book can give you ideas and mostly adequate info. It includes all three peaks mentioned so far and lots of local hikes.
http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Trails-Sou" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0871089114
I highly recommend checking out the La Platas, too, especially in August when the wildflowers are off the charts.

If/when you need any beta, feel free to send me a PM.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I've done Snowdon, incredible views. Short but sweet with some very nice scrambling and will give you a birds eye view of the town of Silverton as well.. You might check out the Twilight group which is very near to Snowdon and has equally incredible views. For even more solitude and some awesome scenery as well, try the La Sals.
beegee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beegee »

Thanks for the feedback - I do not see on the summitpost the rating or class of each hike/climb. Is that information out there? I'm looking for up to class 3.

Thanks!
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Usually the class is mentioned in the route located in a link on the left of each page. Snowdon is class 3, but you can do more difficult routes. You should be able to find class 3 on any of the previously mentioned peaks. It is always possible for the difficulty to increase if you get off route.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Hermosa is class 2. It's a walk up a road, then a gully, then up some talus to the summit.
Engineer (B) is also class 2.
Snowdon is class 3 and by far the most airy of the three.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
beegee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beegee »

Sounds good - thanks!