North and South Arapahoe

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

North and South Arapahoe

Post by Alpine »

Anyone been up recently? I am trying to get a feel for current conditions - I may have a chance to get out this weekend and was considering these peaks. If not these specific peaks, anything on the IPW east side?
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
Pivvay
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North and South Arapahoe

Post by Pivvay »

South should be no problem no matter what. I'd bet there is some ice and snow on the traverse but with as warm as it's been lately it shouldn't be too bad.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

I summited South Arapaho on Sunday the 26th. Some shin-deep drifts on the switchbacks and upper peak but nothing major. The traverse to North Arapaho looked scary with the snow but I don't know anything, I'm just a noob. It might be cake for you. I did not see anyone make the traverse on Sunday.

Here's my trip report, which I'll post here once I get some time to edit it. Hiking to the top of peaks is a new experience for me so South Arapaho was very exciting :D
http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2710
ccunnin
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ccunnin »

Nice photos Kimo. Gives an idea of what I'm in for tomorrow. I really appreciate the post as well as others, I'm sure.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

Nice pics Kimo. Looking through the RockFrogs site, I notice several names from CO4x4.org as well. You can find me on there, under the same screen name, but don't post often. PM me if you have questions or just want to chat about hiking, climbing, four-wheeling, etc.

ccunnin, post up after your trip, huh?
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
Billygoat
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Billygoat »

kimo,

Those are excellent pictures along with your report. I've been wanting to climb up there for years and now I'm much more inspired after seeing those. Thanks for posting them.
Listen to your body, it tells you when it's had enough.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad I could help.

Alpine,
I pass thru the CO4x4 forum sometimes. I'm not a big fan of the culture there. The Rockfrogs are more my style.

Do any good wheeling this year? Holy Cross was without doubt my most memorable trip of the year. It was super hard but a blast!
Billygoat
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Billygoat »

Well, I decided to go climb S. Arapahoe peak this past Sunday after being inspired by this thread. Trail was easy all the way to the saddle. Watch for the junction two miles from the trailhead where you make a right turn. There's a mine here with some old equipment if you're interested in that kind of stuff. You have to peek up over the top of the tailings. The last 700 feet to the summit was a fun rock scramble. Beware of the false summit, it got me! Hardly any snow on the way, but that's likely to change this week. Once up there, you have awsome views in all directions. The old Moffat railroad grade to the south, Winterpark ski area southwest and Long's and Meeker to the north. There is a dial up there also indicating azimuth to distant features and mileage. Also three survey markers that you can locate. I did'nt feel like doing the traverse to N. Arapahoe this day, but could clearly make out movement of others that had gone before me.

This to me was a really enjoyable hike with well over 3000 feet of gain, and in a reasonably short distance. It felt as though I had climbed a 14er. It's a lofty summit and well worth the trip.
Listen to your body, it tells you when it's had enough.