Backpacking advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Nprice MD
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Backpacking advice

Post by Nprice MD »

Does anyone know about how many miles that Maroon-Snowmass wilderness loop is? Could a guy from Baltimore, Maryland (flatlanders i think you call us :D ) do it in about five or six days? I'll be in Glacier national park(hopefully if we can get a permit) for about 9 days before we come to Colorado so I think that will help with the altitude. Also, looking at the map, would I be correct in saying that Denver is the best airport to fly into for that area or is there one closer that I don't know about? Thanks again for all the help
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Nprice MD wrote:Does anyone know about how many miles that Maroon-Snowmass wilderness loop is? Could a guy from Baltimore, Maryland (flatlanders i think you call us :D ) do it in about five or six days?
If you are referring to the 4 pass loop/Quad by Pass, that circumnavigates the Maroon Bells, it's 28.9miles by my GPS watch(give or take a mile). Whether or not you can do it in 6days, that just depends on your fitness and experience, but I'm going to go with yes, it can be done. There are some steep uphills, but it's often done as a 3-4day backpacking trip and can be done in one day as well.
Denver is the closest major airport to Aspen, about 3-4h out depending on traffic(there is an airport in Aspen, if you own your own jet :roll: ). Definitely a beautiful hike, well worth the trip.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Nprice MD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Nprice MD »

Oh, I was under the assumption that it was longer then that which is why I asked about 6 days. Thanks for the information.
Jeff in Oregon
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff in Oregon »

Oh, I was under the assumption that it was longer then that which is why I asked about 6 days. Thanks for the information.
Allow an extra/layover day to climb Snowmass. :)

Wife and I did it 2 years ago in 4 days from Portland Or. with 2 days to acclimate. The longer you stay, the more you carry.... [-X

Here's a good book.

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Colorados- ... 162&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
telehead
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by telehead »

You could do the 4 Pass Loop in 4 days but if you throw in Snowmass you'll need to take one day and make up the time which means big miles.

We did the loop w/Snowmass summit in 4 nights 5 days and wished we had another day because the day after Snowmass, to make up miles, we went over Trail Rider and Frigid Air Passes in one day and it about crippled us. ;) By the end of that day, I was dragging ass.

I try to keep my days at an average of 8 miles per. Both to enjoy it physically and also give enough time to enjoy camp, hang out at views, and just not feel rushed. But I had 2 friends who came from Atlanta do that trip and were hurting the first day but by the end, hiked with no problems. If you're in good shape you should have no problem. My advice is drink plenty of water and bring Tylenol PM, Valium, or Xanex because sleeping at altitude sucks.

Here some pics from trip.
Quadruple By Pass 2004
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"