Landers Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Landers Peak?

Post by Kojones »

Howdy -

An email conversation with my mom found its way to her pointing out this painting by Bierstadt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bier ... k_1863.jpg

Anybody have any information on "Landers Peak" or how to get to where the painter was "standing" to have this view?

She actually mentioned enjoying the comparison between scenes from the 1800's to current scenes, like what John Fielder has done. I'd love to provider her with a "current" photo that I took of these scene (if it even really exists?). Thanks!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Landers Peak?

Post by mountainrev »

Here's a picture of Lander Peak near Pinedale, WY. From the description in the Wikipedia article, this must be it. If this is the same mountain, looks like ol' Bierstadt slightly embellished it.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

Here's another view. Tripple Peak is on the left, and Lander on the right.
klabar
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by klabar »

Wind River Range, WY
"I was young on this mountain, but now I am old" - Levon Helm
Layne Bracy
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 179 9
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Layne Bracy »

Here's the listsofjohn profile page with all the nitty-gritty:

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=7880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

mountainrev wrote:Here's a picture of Lander Peak near Pinedale, WY. From the description in the Wikipedia article, this must be it. If this is the same mountain, looks like ol' Bierstadt slightly embellished it.

nah, he was just standing on the other side!! :mrgreen:
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.