Less then 12k

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alexosias
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Less then 12k

Post by alexosias »

I am looking for some good hikes within 2 hours drive of Denver that are less then 12k in elevation and are class I or II.

Thanks,
alex
mt_turtle
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Less then 12k

Post by mt_turtle »

Psalms 65:5-6 By awesome deeds You answer us in righteousness, O God of our salvation, You who are the trust of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest sea; Who establishes the mountains by His strength, Being girded with might;
mtnnose
14ers: 38 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnnose »

Hiking the peaks, green mountain, bear peak or south boulder peak, are great outings, with signficant vertical gain and wonderful views of boulder/denver.

http://www.protrails.com/images/maps/mesamap.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Bison Peak! The coolest 12er around (so a few feet over your requirement), in the Lost Creek Wilderness area. 12 miles round trip from the Ute Creek trailhead, all class 1 or 2 with the exception of any boulder piles you feel like scrambling on (including the actual summit).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Brad
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Brad »

Mt. Rosa in Colorado Springs is 11,499' and you stand a good chance of having the summit to yourself. There are multiple routes depending on how long of a hike you want. It also has history as it is the peak Zebulon Pike climbed thinking he was climbing Pikes. There is a cave near the summit if you want to make a night of it.