Quick Peak with a view in Indian Peaks area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
livinlite
Trip Reports (0)

Quick Peak with a view in Indian Peaks area

Post by livinlite »

Still acclimating to the area and want to get in a relatively quick climb/hike in the Indian Peaks area Saturday morning. I don't have a 4x4. I'm thinking a 5-10 mile RT so we can get up and back down before 12-1pm.

Any favorites for a quick trip?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Quick Peak with a view in Indian Peaks area

Post by bergsteigen »

Pawnee Peak (a 12er) up past Brainard Lake has amazing views, and not many people go past Pawnee Pass to the peak. Haven't done Mt Audubon (13er), but its' also in this area. $8 to get to the lake parking.

Arapaho Pass is a classic, as well as S Arapaho Peak (8-9mi). Amazing wild flowers! The dirt road up to 4th of July TH is passable in a passenger car.

Heart Lake (or the other 2 trails to lakes) in the James Peak wilderness are also nice. You can get to James Peak (13er) from the ridge. Good dirt road as well.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Mt. Audubon is a safe and easy warmup hike, with good views of the Indian Peaks as well as the Longs Peak massif to the north. Here's a link to my trip report for Mt. Audubon:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

If you're up to it, scramble from Mt. Audubon's summit to Paiute Peak and return to the parking lot via the Blue Lake Trail. It's a hella good time, and Blue Lake is one of the nicer spots on the east side of the Indian Peaks.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
livinlite
Trip Reports (0)

Post by livinlite »

Great recommendations...thanks! (liked the write-up too)
MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

I was just trying to find it to no avail, but can anyone tell me if there are some primitve camp sites around the Brainard Lake area? I'm looking to car camp as I don't have time Friday to pack in anywhere. I spent my last hour at work looking for something! Maybe I can't read well enough. Any help? Thanks!

-Mike
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

MikeyC wrote:I was just trying to find it to no avail, but can anyone tell me if there are some primitve camp sites around the Brainard Lake area? I'm looking to car camp as I don't have time Friday to pack in anywhere. I spent my last hour at work looking for something! Maybe I can't read well enough. Any help? Thanks!

-Mike
The NF Pawnee Campground is at Brainard Lake:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/recreation ... wnee.shtml
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
MikeyC
14ers: 26 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MikeyC »

Thanks much!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

The road to Mt. Audobon costs $8 to enter, and the guy at the gate told me the trailhead fills up by 7.30am on weekends. And apparently, when it gets to whatever their definition of full is they close the lot and you have to park a good bit lower.

South Arapaho OTOH is free and is a quicker drive up from Boulder. Just something to keep in mind.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
livinlite
Trip Reports (0)

Post by livinlite »

TravelingMatt wrote:The road to Mt. Audobon costs $8 to enter, and the guy at the gate told me the trailhead fills up by 7.30am on weekends. And apparently, when it gets to whatever their definition of full is they close the lot and you have to park a good bit lower.

South Arapaho OTOH is free and is a quicker drive up from Boulder. Just something to keep in mind.
Duly noted...though I may have to settle for a training run up South Boulder early in the morning as the fiance says we have wedding planning stuff to take care of (which is true...) and lots to do around the house (which is also true). I'll still be happy as a clam to get outside and away from this infernal computer screen =D>