Gotta vent - atypical dog story

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gotta vent - atypical dog story

Post by davebobk47 »

Bobo wrote:Am I a bad dog owner? I don't think so, but, here's my story. Two years ago, I took "Buddy" along for a Tour de Massive (my avatar is actually from early in that hike). Buddy's in good shape. He was my training partner for marathon training, so a 20 mile run on dirt/rocky trails is not unusual for him. What happened though is that the rocks on massive were tougher on his paws than I expected, so by the time we started the descent off the ridge after hitting all the summits, his paws were sore. We were only about halfway down that steep descent before he started having real problems. He weighs about 85lb, so carrying him in my arms wasn't an option, so I tried to get him into my pack, no dice...way too big. Sadly it turned into a "death march". I'd go a little ways, he'd come along, then stop. I'd have to go back, carry him a few steps, then encourage him to go a few hundred feet, then repeat the process. I'm sure he was in pain, but I couldn't see much choice. Eventually, I decided to go ahead to the car, get my sleeping bag, some extra food, and come back and set up a bivy with him. The further ahead of him I got, the more determined he was to follow. If he wasn't going to stay put, I couldn't charge ahead. Eventually we got off the steep stuff, and his paws didn't seem to bother him as much, so we hoofed it back to the car. Shortly after that I got him some dog booties. The booties are great, although they do cause traction issues on snow. Despite the booties, I decided not to take him on Challenger/Kit Carson due to rockfall issues.
Glad to hear he made it through okay.

The worst was when I saw a guy on the Incline with a wiener dog. It was like 10 lbs and he was swearing at it like a sailor because it wouldn't go any further. First, he had made it 3/4 of the way and second, some of those steps are 3 - 4 times his height. Those dogs aren't quite built for the incline. Instead of the guy yelling at the dog for being lazy why didn't he stop being lazy and pick the dog up and help him out. A few words from me only shut the guy up for about 10 seconds. Wish I could tie a leash around his neck and bring him with me on a 14er... :twisted:
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

Bobo wrote:Am I a bad dog owner? I don't think so, but, here's my story.
No. You saw that he was not doing well and tried to get him back to where he was safe and comfortable. The yahoos listed in the other stories didn't know and didn't care, or did know and just didn't care. :roll: Honestly, yelling at a Dachshund because his little legs can't go any faster up a 14er! It would be fun to "drag" that owner along on a hike. "Come on, Fat A$$! No stopping to rest!" :twisted:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
gander4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gander4 »

Bobo wrote:Am I a bad dog owner? I don't think so, but, here's my story. Two years ago, I took "Buddy" along for a Tour de Massive (my avatar is actually from early in that hike). Buddy's in good shape. He was my training partner for marathon training, so a 20 mile run on dirt/rocky trails is not unusual for him. What happened though is that the rocks on massive were tougher on his paws than I expected, so by the time we started the descent off the ridge after hitting all the summits, his paws were sore. We were only about halfway down that steep descent before he started having real problems. He weighs about 85lb, so carrying him in my arms wasn't an option, so I tried to get him into my pack, no dice...way too big. Sadly it turned into a "death march". I'd go a little ways, he'd come along, then stop. I'd have to go back, carry him a few steps, then encourage him to go a few hundred feet, then repeat the process. I'm sure he was in pain, but I couldn't see much choice. Eventually, I decided to go ahead to the car, get my sleeping bag, some extra food, and come back and set up a bivy with him. The further ahead of him I got, the more determined he was to follow. If he wasn't going to stay put, I couldn't charge ahead. Eventually we got off the steep stuff, and his paws didn't seem to bother him as much, so we hoofed it back to the car. Shortly after that I got him some dog booties. The booties are great, although they do cause traction issues on snow. Despite the booties, I decided not to take him on Challenger/Kit Carson due to rockfall issues.
You're not a bad dog owner. Everyone makes mistakes but the difference is you care about your dog, unlike that other guy. Glad he turned out ok.
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

Bobo wrote: Eventually, I decided to go ahead to the car, get my sleeping bag, some extra food, and come back and set up a bivy with him.
Even though he kept following you, I'm sure it was really hard to make the decision to leave him. Hopefully I won't ever find myself caught in a situation like this (fingers crossed). Glad he made it!
-Ryan
so_il_summit
14ers: 37 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by so_il_summit »

my dog never shows any signs of fatigue or pain until he wakes up from his post summit nap, i feel the same way.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I've got an atypical dog story...
In Nepal, it is considered very auspicious if a dog, especially a black dog, follows you on the trail.
We walked up to a little viewpoint called Chhukhung Ri at about 18,500 feet and this dog followed us all the way from town. The dog didn't have an owner and probably had never slept indoors a day in his life. I think no one ever formally fed him either, he just kind of cleaned up the town every night after dinner. I shared a little snack with him. He stayed up there after we went down, probably waiting for the next group to arrive. I did see him later that night wandering the streets of the town.
Mel McKinney
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

cheeseburglar wrote:I've got an atypical dog story...
In Nepal, it is considered very auspicious if a dog, especially a black dog, follows you on the trail.
We walked up to a little viewpoint called Chhukhung Ri at about 18,500 feet and this dog followed us all the way from town. The dog didn't have an owner and probably had never slept indoors a day in his life. I think no one ever formally fed him either, he just kind of cleaned up the town every night after dinner. I shared a little snack with him. He stayed up there after we went down, probably waiting for the next group to arrive. I did see him later that night wandering the streets of the town.
Awesome story!
Interesting. I read recently that black dogs have a tougher time being adopted in the US because of some subconscious bias or fear of black dogs.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
1moremile
14ers: 26 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1moremile »

2_Salukis wrote:So we're headed up Handies and this guy is coming down a few yards off the trail, just kind of meandering along. I'm thinking, should I tell him he should be on the trail or just mind my own business? :-k Then he yells something up in the air and completely unintelligible to everyone in our group, so I figure he's better left alone.

About 500yds later, this dog appears around a rock cropping on the trail. It's got a soaked leash on, but no one holding it. We initially get a growl, but it settles down OK without too much coaxing. :x
I wonder if the owner wasn't having a touch of ye olde altitude sickness. Sounds like the dog wasn't afraid or mistrustful of humans, so it probably was normally treated well. Or so I hope.

Anyway, thanks or no thanks you did the right thing. Thank you for caring an being mindful.
1moremile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1moremile »

cheeseburglar wrote:I've got an atypical dog story...

Love that shot!
1moremile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 1moremile »

Bobo wrote:Am I a bad dog owner?
Nope, don't think so. You took care of your dog as soon and as well as possible.

We had a similar experience with one of our beloved Italian greyhounds (may she RIP) on a 16-mile hike in the Desolation Wilderness Area. Our pooch weighed 14 pounds, so we were able to carry her out. She loved all-day hikes and had no previous pad issues, so we assumed the type of rock was the culprit and made sure not to expose her to that again. The good news, I guess, is that after Wonderhubby carried her most the way out, she became a daddy's girl. She had previously been my trail buddy.
2_Salukis
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2_Salukis »

cheeseburglar wrote:Maybe he was picking his nose when the dog saw a marmot and took off?
Would you have had a different opinion if he thanked you profusely?
It's a good thing that story is atypical and not a typical dog story. Typically there would be no leash at all!
I didn't have an issue with how they ended up separated -- s**t happens. I wasn't looking for profuse thanks either. Just some sort of sigh of relief that he had his dog back, and that some stranger went to a more than a little trouble to make it happen.
Mel McKinney
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

2_Salukis wrote: I didn't have an issue with how they ended up separated -- s**t happens. I wasn't looking for profuse thanks either. Just some sort of sigh of relief that he had his dog back, and that some stranger went to a more than a little trouble to make it happen.
Why not a profuse thanks? Sheesh, not too much to ask for considering the circumstances, for either you or Aubrey in your situations.