I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm...

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Re: I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm...

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Great! I'm glad you like it and I hope many others find it useful.
speleo
14er Checklist (3)

Postby speleo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:28 pm

gwmorris wrote:Bill, your name came up over Thanksgiving dinner here on the east coast. When my son explained what he actually does for a living, I thought you might be interested. He writes code for a relatively small company building open source highly customizable maps as an alternative to google maps.
A good third party overview can be found at www.digitaltrends.com.../roll your own maps or go to their home @ https://www.mapbox.com
They have an interesting terrain overlay where you can add the missing roads maybe not found on a google map. Thanks for everything you do.

digitaltrends link is: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/roll-your-own-maps-mapbox-wants-to-become-the-wikipedia-of-cartography/
hollamby
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby hollamby » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Killer feature!

I will be using this often, thanks for the hard work.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
jschmidt
14er Checklist (7)

Postby jschmidt » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:07 pm

did the snow depth map go away at some point in the last four years? I don't have that listed in my overlays.

If so, where did that data come from that I could go find it? I'm planning a hike up Pikes on 9/10 and this would help me select my gear. I can see the east side is covered but don't know how to see what I'll be getting into from the Crags route without driving around the mountains to go see it the day before.

EDIT: I found the NRCS...it helps some but it seems to just give snow depth by specific station location instead of in shades like the map did here. The closest to Pikes Peak is at 11,500 feet; I can tell from my backyard that there isn't any snow there...trying to find data for the summit.
Joe
johnF
14er Checklist (6)

Postby johnF » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:32 pm

Don't know about the map, but driving by the back side yesterday afternoon, it looked like the Crags route had snow cover down to 12,200' or so. You could always start a new thread asking about crags snow coverage, folks on here hike it, or at least drive by and can provide reports or photos without you having to drive around yourself.
jschmidt
14er Checklist (7)

Postby jschmidt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:05 pm

thanks. I probably will start a thread as we get closer...being 10 days out a lot can change.
Joe
SchralpTheGnar
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (48)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Sweet overlays Bill, you rock!
thurs
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (3)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby thurs » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 am

jschmidt wrote:did the snow depth map go away at some point in the last four years? I don't have that listed in my overlays.

If so, where did that data come from that I could go find it? I'm planning a hike up Pikes on 9/10 and this would help me select my gear. I can see the east side is covered but don't know how to see what I'll be getting into from the Crags route without driving around the mountains to go see it the day before.

EDIT: I found the NRCS...it helps some but it seems to just give snow depth by specific station location instead of in shades like the map did here. The closest to Pikes Peak is at 11,500 feet; I can tell from my backyard that there isn't any snow there...trying to find data for the summit.

Check my signature, I have a custom-rolled map for the NOHRSC SNODAS data that Bill was using for an overlay. Not sure what happened to it. I plan on revamping my free snow products for this coming season 8)

You can use the 'official website' for that data but the interface is a massive piece of dog****
"I live not in myself, but I become portion of that around me; and to me high mountains are a feeling, but the hum of human cities torture." - Lord Byron
* Nauseating Whiff Records (Colorado metal/punk/drone)
* My daily SNODAS snowpack map application (nationwide snow depth, temperature, melt rate, etc.) - PM me feedback
jschmidt
14er Checklist (7)

Postby jschmidt » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:32 am

nice! thank you! Added to favorites.
Joe

Return to “14ers.com - Updates”