Heading up the Mountain at 11:30

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
joe4186
14er Checklist (22)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (1)

Heading up the Mountain at 11:30

Postby joe4186 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:20 pm

ok, so, i'm really confused by this....

today, hiked carson/challenger, on the way down around 11:30 ran into a guy on his way up to challenger. problem is- he was just above willow lake and struggling. we asked him how he was doing, couldn't understand him, he asked where the trail was, i tried to pull out bill's route description and show him where the trail was, this was after telling him that it was a little late to be heading up the mountain, but he said that he had "instructions", he just didn't want to pull them out. after the encounter, we watched him go up another 20 or so yards and sit down and take a break...

there was clearly clouds hanging on kit carson, and there were thunderheads all around and building. on the way out of crestone, lightning struck in the field to our left about 200-300 yards away, and it was raining heavily.

what is going on???
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"
Layne Bracy
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (179)

Postby Layne Bracy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:32 pm

To me what is interesting is that each summer probably tens of thousands of similar ascents occur, but only a few hikers are killed.
Jcwhite
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (55)
14ers in Winter (13)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby Jcwhite » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:34 pm

I have climbed a few peaks with a late start, its only reasonable if you have the confidence to move fast and make up for it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson
Andy
14er Checklist (24)

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Where were the mountain police?!? They should have locked that guy up and thrown away the key!
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com
joe4186
14er Checklist (22)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (1)

Postby joe4186 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Jcwhite wrote:I have climbed a few peaks with a late start, its only reasonable if you have the confidence to move fast and make up for it.

i'm thinking you and this guy are a bit different, he didn't know where the trail was, was not moving fast, and clouds were closing in all around..

no common sense?
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"
Doug Shaw
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:21 pm

joe4186 wrote:no common sense?

Or - just a thought - moving slowly and confused/difficult to comprehend makes me think of AMS or worse.

Judgement-affecting illnesses may not mean innate lack of good judgement. It's the same way that generally safe and conscientious people get DUIs.
thebeave7
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (52)

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Andy wrote:Where were the mountain police?!? They should have locked that guy up and thrown away the key!

They were off giving out tickets to those parked on the Mt Evans road, comon Andy, stay up to date. :lol:
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
grock52
14er Checklist (35)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby grock52 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:08 am

i agree with ezsuperkev, if you had offered him a ham he would have probably followed you down. i would.
When I look down from mountains lofty grandeur... my soul cries out, My God, how great Thou art
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:30 am

Layne Bracy wrote:To me what is interesting is that each summer probably tens of thousands of similar ascents occur, but only a few hikers are killed.

My thought also. Apparently this guy got out OK, as there hasn't been anything in the news about him.

Sometimes I think people worry too much about whether other hikers are doing everything perfectly safely. We all make bad decisions sometimes, and people are actually pretty tough as a rule, so don't get so worked up about what you see on the trail. Maybe he was on the 50th peak of a week-long 14er speed record attempt, who knows?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
Ken Gross
14er Checklist (18)
14ers Skied (2)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby Ken Gross » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:38 am

Live and Let Live...

It is not societies job to protect people from their own stupidity. More warning signs are certainly not needed... people will ignore them and put themselves in danger regardless. All you can really do is accept that.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755
Titan
14er Checklist (30)

i agree

Postby Titan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:41 am

Yea if there is lighting coming the last place I like to be is above treeline. I got caught in a big storm on Mt. Alice this summer in RMNP and had to hunker in a boulder cave for about 45 minutes while it hailed and lightning very close by. It was one of those simultaneous flash and boom lightning storms. I was pretty scared about getting zappped.

The warning signs in RMNP saying "the mountains don't care" is a good warning.

Just tell those people late climbing to watch for lightning and head down if they see any.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Re: i agree

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 am

Titan wrote:I got caught in a big storm on Mt. Alice this summer in RMNP and had to hunker in a boulder cave for about 45 minutes while it hailed and lightning very close by. It was one of those simultaneous flash and boom lightning storms. I was pretty scared about getting zappped.

Apparently you're one of Layne's thousands of survivors. :D

A serious question: do you think somebody should have tried to stop you from doing this hike?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin

Return to “Mountaineering Tales”