First Date to Gray's and Torrey's???

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
kingof14ers
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby kingof14ers » Fri May 20, 2005 1:15 pm

2 Things....

1) I did that in my Mustang going up to Guanella Pass... but I was by myself not trying to impress anyone and
2) So what happened to the girl? Geez man, ya leave us hangin?
RenoBob
14er Checklist (6)
13er Checklist (12)

First date

Postby RenoBob » Fri May 20, 2005 1:20 pm

1. Ditto the girl?
2. Pardon my old age, what does LOL mean?
3. This falls under my old quote "you never old enough to know better"
4. Great Story :lol:
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
kingof14ers
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: First date

Postby kingof14ers » Fri May 20, 2005 3:05 pm

RenoBob wrote:2. Pardon my old age, what does LOL mean?

Laugh out Loud
downhilldave
14er Checklist (18)

Postby downhilldave » Sat May 21, 2005 1:02 pm

I had ran into ta problem simmilar to the snow story but it was with mud. I posted this earlier this past winter in another post. I have learned my lesson for sure.

. . . A few years back My friend and I went four-wheeling near west of Colorado Springs (to mount baldy), and about a mile into the trail there was an open area that was home to some marsh lands. What this ment was there were MUD puddles to drive through. There was a side trail that crossed the muddy area that my friend decided to drive his 87' land cruser, no doubt a good truck through the mud. Well we never checked the water depth and so we got half way through it when we got high centered. With small shovel in hand we decided to dig out and work on our tans as well. Like the young idiots we were we took our shits of and got a very very bad sun burn( lobster red). At nearly 11,000 feet it does not take much to get burnt. Long story short we hictched hiked down gold camp road about 8 miles to where our cell phone worked to call my friends dad. With the added halp we were able to drain the water from the puddle then we jacked each side of the car up and placed logs under the wheels till it was no longer high centered. We finally got out of the mud some 9 hours after getting stuck! The moral of the story: if you must drive through mud puddles, check the depth, mud softness and areas where you could get high centered.
'I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord who made Heaven and Earth' Psalm 121:1-2
glodder
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby glodder » Tue May 31, 2005 2:44 pm

Good post, Alan.
ColoradoGuy
14er Checklist (22)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:28 pm

Alan, a great story. I usually don't read lengthy stuff, but you had be "on edge" the whole time anticipating the next detail.

But Alan, it might be the therapist in me, but here's what you left out (which, of course, you're welcome to share):

Did you and the girl "hit it off"? Or was she totally turned off by you're uh ... pride? ;)
Did she go out with you again?

MESSAGE EDITED - I see someone else asked you the question and you answered. Thanks again for the story.

-Steve
http://www.coloradoguy.com
davebobk47
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (67)

Marathon Training

Postby davebobk47 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:13 pm

14ers fit into Marathon training if you crazy enough to use your day off from running to do a 14er. I run 6 days, do a 14ers on Sat or Sun, works great although it doesn't leave a lot of room for a social life.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev

http://summitcountyhiker.com
Yog
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (54)

Postby Yog » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:11 am

Wow, running 6 days and climb the 7th? How do your knees handle this? Do you take Glucosamine (sp?). I like to run and LOVE to climb, but hitting the really steep scree stuff (Pyramid ridge down to Ampitheater, Yale, etc) really starts to make my knees sore! Wondering if wraps would help....
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Return to “Mountaineering Tales”