Tow Truck Blues

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Sarge
14er Checklist (47)
13er Checklist (6)

Tow Truck Blues

Postby Sarge » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:48 am

Without a stout 4WD vehicle a few friends and I were obliged to hike our way up the South Colony Lake road to bag Humboldt in the summer of 2001. As we trudged our way up we heard the sound of a vehicle grinding its way up the "road" behind us. We moved off to the side as a tow truck passed by us. The driver waved and cheerfully greeted us as he passed by but his two passengers just sat there with dejected, downcast faces. As they bounced their way up the trail ahead of us we speculated at what kind of tragic accident would bring a wrecker up a road as rugged as that. We imagined a vehicle hopelessly wedged between a couple boulders or perhaps dangling precariously over a steep drop. We knew it had to be something serious to warrant a tow truck. We just hoped no one had been injured or worse. After nearly an hour of hiking we heard the sounds of traffic moving down the road. First to come into view was a Jeep Cherokee with the two young men still wearing their long faces. Their vehicle was moving well under it's own power and looked undamaged. That only peaked our curiosity. The wrecker driver stopped to chat and we had to ask what the problem had been. His two customers had left the dome light on in the vehicle for a couple days and had a dead battery! They had gone all the way to Pueblo to find help and to hire him..... at $100 an hour. He said he had been on the job for six hours and it would be another two before he got back to Pueblo. Those two sad gentlemen had just bought an $800 jump start!
wotah
14er Checklist (17)

Postby wotah » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm

Ouch. It would have been much cheeper to buy a new battery, pay a taxi to give them a ride to the trail, then out the $70 battery in themselves. That is a tough lesson learned.
pesky6
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby pesky6 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:10 pm

Geesh, AAA with the "plus" option is only about $70. I took my mother who was visiting from NH up the Pike's Peak auto road and our minivan crapped out. I dread to think of what it would have cost us to not have AAA! :shock:
Montejo
14er Checklist (27)

Postby Montejo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:28 pm

That's why I always bring a portable jumpstarter with a built in air compressor. Luckily I have never had to use it, but I have had to get a tow truck to come up to Kite Lake to pull me back on to the road and out of the snow/ice. That was a bad day.

Return to “Mountaineering Tales”