Falling in love in the Huerfano Valley

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
danny bray
14er Checklist (39)

Postby danny bray » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:29 pm

" I would rather be in the mountains thinking about God than to be in church thinking about the mountains." I recently read this quote and I can't remember would made it. I have to say it reflects my feelings exactly. I am not a religious person but I can't help but believe that we were put here for a reason.I do feel that I am a spiritual person though. Grouse, you may not understand that, but I think a lot of you out there understand what I mean. I can't climb a 14'er without feeling that all that magnificent beauty was put there for a reason. No matter what you choose to believe, there is not a single one us that will have the answer to the ultimate question until our time has passed. But until then if someone is so moved by the awesome beauty of nature that they want to share the experience with others then be happy for them and be happy that they appreciate nature. He wasn't trying to tell anybody else that they should feel the same way. But you have to admit that there are a lot of people out there that don't give a crap about our mountains, or our access to them and we need all the help we can get. I respect your opinion. I don't agree with it, but I would never make a comment like you did. Let's just share the peaks and be glad the experience can be so meaningful to us that care about the mountains the way we do!!!

Return to “Mountaineering Tales”