Best Winter Route for Rogers and Warren?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Best Winter Route for Rogers and Warren?

Post by Tornadoman »

I am looking for info on the best way to access 13ers Rogers and Warren (Near Mt. Evans) in the winter. My thought is that it may be easiest to just park near Echo Lake Lodge (i.e. beginning of Mt. Evans Road) and head straight south through the trees and then over Goliath Peak. Looking at trip reports it seems like some approach that way, while others stick more to Mt. Evans road for a while. What is the preference (with avoiding avy terrain being paramount).

Thanks!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Best Winter Route for Rogers and Warren?

Post by Jay521 »

I did them in winter some years back using exactly the route you describe (park @ Echo Lake and head south). I don't recall going over Mt. Goliath - I think I went just west of it and the only "sorta" avy terrain I remember was down the eastern side of Goliath (which is why I went just west.) Not following the road (just heading straight south) made for some serious trench building, but that made the summits more worth it! :)

And a disclaimer - I did it in a year that the avy danger wasn't all that high.
Last edited by Jay521 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Tornadoman wrote:I am looking for info on the best way to access 13ers Rogers and Warren (Near Mt. Evans) in the winter. My thought is that it may be easiest to just park near Echo Lake Lodge (i.e. beginning of Mt. Evans Road) and head straight south through the trees and then over Goliath Peak. Looking at trip reports it seems like some approach that way, while others stick more to Mt. Evans road for a while. What is the preference (with avoiding avy terrain being paramount).

Thanks!
Head south but stay west of Goliath. There is some avy terrain on the NE side of Goliath that should be avoided (it has slid and buried a hiker).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Stay on the road until 10,900' (which is fairly close to the second hairpin turn) and then head south towards Goliath. If you cut up from the road too soon, you'll encounter a fair amount of downfall. From rijaca's description it sounds like some people have stayed on the road for quite a distance, but I've always tried to minimize the time on the road. There is frequently good snowshoeing in the trees above Echo Lake, but I suppose that may not be a good thing if you're by yourself and heading up.
Goliath.JPG
Goliath.JPG (54.22 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Thanks for the pointers. My wife and I made a try at this today. Went roughly the red line on DarcyS post. We followed a snowshoe packed trail for about half the way to treeline and then left it as it seemed to go too far right and start descending? From there we trudged southward through knee deep snow, sometimes over deadfall, and then rediscovered the trench right before treeline. Followed the road from there staying west of Goliath, and then went on to the saddle between Goliath and Rogers, and ascended a couple hundred vertical from there. We called it a day as my wife was blown down a couple times due to the high winds and I was nearly thrown airborne when a gust hit my pack at an awkward angle. We pretty much descended the same way we went up, strengthening our trench. Will probably try again in the next couple months and would plan to follow the same general route. Note: Above treeline there is virtually no snow.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

rijaca wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:I am looking for info on the best way to access 13ers Rogers and Warren (Near Mt. Evans) in the winter. My thought is that it may be easiest to just park near Echo Lake Lodge (i.e. beginning of Mt. Evans Road) and head straight south through the trees and then over Goliath Peak. Looking at trip reports it seems like some approach that way, while others stick more to Mt. Evans road for a while. What is the preference (with avoiding avy terrain being paramount).

Thanks!
Head south but stay west of Goliath. There is some avy terrain on the NE side of Goliath that should be avoided (it has slid and buried a hiker).
I don't know if rijaca is thinking of the same incident, but there was a fatality a few years ago when somebody was following the road, and got caught in an avalanche where the road crossed a gully, which slid.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

When I lived in Evergreen, I did this route a bunch of times... Hike up the Evans road, bypass the corners near the now Mt. Goliath visitors center (or whatever it's called) and go over Goliath to Rogers and Warren. I haven't updated this route in a while, but the one photo gives you a good idea of the route, plus the topo map.

https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=e ... =Mt.+Evans
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs