Ten Mile range Peaks 1-4 access

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
emiller
14ers: 6 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Ten Mile range Peaks 1-4 access

Post by emiller »

I was looking for information on the Miners Creek road. I was wondering about the condition of the road and how far a stock 4x4 Suv would reasonably be able to make it. In the Colorado Scrambles book by Cooper he says it can shave 3 miles each way of the trip but I know that information is dated. Thanks for the help in advance!
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ten Mile range Peaks 1-4 access

Post by davebobk47 »

Yes, most stock SUVs could make it a ways up the road. (unless something has changed recently) I remember one very steep section that might give people trouble but I'm guessing that might be around the ~3 mile mark up the road that Cooper is referring to.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

The first ~2 miles are pretty easy, then there is the much steeper section already mentioned. After that, things level out, but the road gets progressively more bouldery. Stock SUV (not a crossover) with decent tires should be fine.

This is as of last summer. Enjoy, those peaks are a fun outing.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm curious what your plan is. Do you just wanna do Peak 1,2,3,4? If so, it's easy enough to park in Frisco and use the trailhead to Mt. Royal. Once you top Peak 4, take the CO trail down to the Peaks trail, then back to Frisco - they're easy miles from the junction of Miners Creek back to Frisco.
emiller
14ers: 6 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by emiller »

My plan is just peaks 1-4 and hit the best scrambling. Cutting 4 miles RT would definetely increases my chances of success