Yaktrax on Mt. Sniktau

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Yaktrax on Mt. Sniktau

Post by tjmartn1 »

Stabilicers have very short stubby spikes, they don't dig in very well and they aren't sharp. They slip off my feet constantly, and I've nearly lost them in snow many times.

The YakTrax I bought to try to upgrade broke on my first outing.

Went to Microspikes and will probably never use anything else again.
roemmic1
14ers: 20  3 
13ers: 8 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by roemmic1 »

I was up on the Sniktau trail today and, aside from the crazy winds, microspikes were more than enough given the current conditions. I, and it appears many others on this post, wear Kahtoolas and think they work really well on the peaks here.
Receiver16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Receiver16 »

I went through yak Trax (flimsy, meager grip) and stabilicers (lost screws, killed my feet, bulky/heavy, hard to get on securely, one fell off on Bierstadt so that was the end of that). Those were easily dismissed after a few trials.

Thought I had found a good middle ground option in ice trekkers, but both pairs I had were destroyed when the side of my foot hit a rock under the snow. (At least they replaced the first. Waiting to see on no. 2.)

Now on to microspikes, which I chose to try first over the hillsounds. Can't comment on them yet, but I can eagerly encourage others to learn from my experiences with the aforementioned products.

I'd skip right ahead to microspikes or the hillsounds.