Atlantic Peak- Winter Beta?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jclark217
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Atlantic Peak- Winter Beta?

Post by jclark217 »

Hello all,
I am looking at a climb Atlantic Peak's West Ridge this week, and wondering if anyone has recent info on the ridge conditions or any gained experience from previous winter ascents. I climbed Atlantic's west ridge in October 2015, and am familiar with the route, and was up on Quandary on 1/5/16, and the conditions looked pretty good, but thought I'd check if anyone's been on that side of the ridge recently.
Thanks.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Atlantic Peak- Winter Beta?

Post by screeman57 »

I'm driving over the pass tomorrow and can take some pictures up mayflower gulch. It was looking pretty well windblown on saturday.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
jclark217
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jclark217 »

That'd be swell. Thanks a ton.
archaicfrost
14ers: 4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by archaicfrost »

@jclark217 did you make it out there? We were thinking about going this coming Sunday, wondering about the conditions and avvy risk.

@screeman57 Been up lately? How'd Mayflower Gulch look?
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

I haven't been up there this year, but have climbed it in winter several times before. Generally a relatively low risk climb from an avalanche danger perspective. Snowshoes often needed prior to attaining the ridge - especially once you leave the road and go across towards the base of the ridge.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

Did this route last March and would repeat it again in a heartbeat. The ridgeline is very fun in winter.

Here's a TR I wrote up for that particular climb.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was one slope, at 1:04 in the video, that caused my partner and I to stop and consider the possibilities regarding avalanches. The snowpack that particular day was consolidated enough to not present any problems, but we still ended up moving slightly to climbers right of it and trying to jump from one cluster of trees to another. On a high risk day we probably would have turned around there.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

Tim: Think you and your partner used the booter myself and another 4 board members left to the top last year! That was a great time to hit it, true knife edge goodness. I'm timing this season's outing to Atlantic to coincide with another good (stable) dump.

To OP: There are a couple areas that would give me pause with a less than stable snowpack, depending on your approach. Once on the ridge proper, just be aware of cornices, but that is likely a non-issue at this point in the season.
High_On_Thin_Air
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by High_On_Thin_Air »

JtheChemE wrote:Tim: Think you and your partner used the booter myself and another 4 board members left to the top last year!
I was the guy with Tim that day and I think you may be right! There was a nice although starting to be filled in booter on the ridge proper the day we were there. Looking forward to getting to the top of everything else in that area as well as Atlantic again.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Anyone been up there recently? Possibly looking into doing this on Sun.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

AlexeyD wrote:Anyone been up there recently? Possibly looking into doing this on Sun.
Looks like typical winter conditions up there (from Copper). Wind storm last night probably moved a bunch of snow.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

bergsteigen wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:Anyone been up there recently? Possibly looking into doing this on Sun.
Looks like typical winter conditions up there (from Copper). Wind storm last night probably moved a bunch of snow.

Yeah...a little concerned that such high winds out of the W-SW may have actually loaded the N side of the ridge, given its NW-SE orientation. Could make avoiding the S-side cornices a bit problematic. Oh well...will have to just see and turn around if it doesn't look good.