Evidence that 13ers are still safe from the hordes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Evidence that 13ers are still safe from the hordes

Post by SnowAlien »

TravelingMatt wrote:
JeffR wrote:You all need to STFU about 13ers... because if I get knocked down to the 5th page of 13er checklists, I'm going to have to trade my hikes for hours of quiet weeping and self-flagellation instead.
Try staying on the first page. Three hundred 13ers no longer cuts it.
lol, I've noticed the struggle on the 1st page. I'd love to be able to get on the 2nd page though. Before it gets too crowded ;) lol
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I hate to break it to you all, but even the 12ers are no longer safe.
We hiked Byers Peak, outside Fraser yesterday because at nine miles/3k, it was a good one to do after a Leftover Salmon concert in Winter Park on Saturday evening.
We saw 31 people on the trail. At least four other groups were on the summit with us at various times, and two trail runners met us on their way down.
While Byers is an impressive peak and a pleasant hike with panoramic views of the Gores, IPW, and Herman Gulch/Loveland Pass peaks, 31 people was more than I expect to see on 10 13er hikes that are not easy peaks near Denver.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

I have climbed Mount Audubon several times and seen people on the summit every time.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Matt wrote:You all have fun up north, now.
Not too late for you to go along, Mano. I don't think there'll be any crowds were we're headed. :lol:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

For those seeking solitude on 13ers, try the LEAST ticked 13ers on LOJ. Dynamic in nature, trying to completing this list, one could entirely change this list.....
http://listsofjohn.com/Colorado/13ERSLC.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In contrast, here is a list of the top 50 most ticked 13ers on LOJ. I wouldn't necessarily expect solitude on any of these.
http://listsofjohn.com/Colorado/13ERSMC.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Byers Peak and Mount Audubon have good trails and good trails attract people. Audubon's 13er neighbor Paiute Peak probably receives less than half the visits of Audubon. Byers' 12er neighbor Bills Peak probably sees a small percentage of the visits that Byers gets. I've been on the five 12ers in the Byers Wilderness, and the only one shared with other hikers was Byers Peak.

We found a lonesome summit register on an IPW 12er recently. Hadn't been signed since last year. Seemed remarkable considering Front Range population growth. It was a satisfying place to be.

Furthermore wrote:For those seeking solitude on 13ers, try the LEAST ticked 13ers on LOJ. Dynamic in nature, trying to completing this list, one could entirely change this list.....
http://listsofjohn.com/Colorado/13ERSLC.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is cool. Other LOJ'ers could also influence the list while in pursuit. Thanks for sharing it.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Anything close to Denver is going to be popular. The Tenmile 13ers seem to be somewhat popular, from the East or West. I had Pacific and Atlantic to myself (there were hordes of people at the lake), but Crystal Peak might as well have been Mt. Sherman when I did it a couple Saturdays ago. Peak 7 and Peak 8- you'll probably never see someone on those.

Sangres and San Juans- probably going to be pretty sparse.
Then again, compared to many people on this website, it's like a 1st grader telling someone about what school is like. :(
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Furthermore wrote:For those seeking solitude on 13ers, try the LEAST ticked 13ers on LOJ. Dynamic in nature, trying to completing this list, one could entirely change this list.....

In contrast, here is a list of the top 50 most ticked 13ers on LOJ. I wouldn't necessarily expect solitude on any of these.
http://listsofjohn.com/Colorado/13ERSMC.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately he doesn't have similar lists for the 14ers, but my non-scientific assumption that the Wilsons and Culebra are the least popular yields 253 ascents of Mt Wilson, 261 of Culebra and 281 of Wilson Peak on LOJ. That would mean that the LEAST popular 14ers are roughly equal the MOST popular 13ers (Sniktau 278 and James 253).

Meanwhile Bierstadt has 566, Grays 603 and Elbert 619.

I actually remember the days when LOJ's least climbed 50 13ers list still had Gore summits on it :(
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

TravelingMatt wrote:
Mark A Steiner wrote:Any thoughts about what are the "popular 13ers"?
West Spanish
Silverheels
Sniktau/whichever Grizzly is beyond Sniktau
North Arapaho
James
The ones above Berthoud Pass
Ouray
Horseshoe/Sheridan, they're better mountains than Sherman
Red? You have to pay for it anyway
The "other" Red, in the Gore, is rather popular
I'd throw in Square Top, Gray Wolf, Bard and Parnassus as peaks where you have a chance to see people. Took a stroll to Square Top lake a few weeks ago on a weekday and talked to several people headed up the peak. (of course, with this thread the cat's out of the bag and they will all be packed going forward)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ElFuegoDelaMuerte
14ers: 35  4  13 
13ers: 38 1 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ElFuegoDelaMuerte »

Lies!!

These three people were seriously crowding us out and ruining our view of West Buffalo Peak last weekend...
Attachments
P1060817 (640x480).jpg
P1060817 (640x480).jpg (177.6 KiB) Viewed 423 times
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

ElFuegoDelaMuerte wrote:Lies!!

These three people were seriously crowding us out and ruining our view of West Buffalo Peak last weekend...
Brutal...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;