From Noname to Ruby Creek

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

From Noname to Ruby Creek

Post by swadmin »

Is there a "shortcut" from Noname Creek/Jagged Pass area to Ruby Creek via Noname-Ruby Pass? I know someone must have done it, any info or tips are appreciated.

Thanks.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: From Noname to Ruby Creek

Post by Mtnman200 »

You can go from Noname Creek to Ruby Creek via the Peak Twelve - Monitor Peak saddle. I've done it the other direction (i.e., from Ruby Creek to Noname Creek).
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

Yes, it's been a while but when we did it in 2006 there was a pretty decent trail down from Jagged Pass to the bottom of No Name. The trail seemed to peter out and it was a bushwack across the stream and then up the slopes to Ruby Pass. We did it late June so there was lots of water and likely the trail was submerged, so you may find it. I have been through there a few more time, but not from Jagged and I don't think there is a trail up to Ruby Pass, so just start climbing. For directional purposes, keep an eye on Ruby Pass across the basin as you are descending from Jagged Pass. You will see Monitor and Pigeon and to the left Sunlight and Twin Thumbs (Twin Thumbs Pass). When you get to the stream crossing at the bottom just start heading up and slightly right, it will all become clear at treeline.
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

Yes, we did a route last year linking Jagged, Turret, then Pigeon in a big loop. I can PM you a gpx file when I get home.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

carson_h wrote:Yes, we did a route last year linking Jagged, Turret, then Pigeon in a big loop. I can PM you a gpx file when I get home.
My partner and I did a similar loop last year. It was easily the worst part of our trip since we were travelling through storms AND missed the trail through the willows on the Ruby side. After bushwhacking for over an hour through willows that were over our heads, we were soaked to the bone, chilly, and hating life trying to make our way down to campsites near Ruby Lake. The next morning, we found the trail; it made things a lot nicer.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Thanks a lot guys! Sounds like I need bring a chainsaw :lol: We plan to do it in the second week of August, hopefully less water. Based on what I read here, there is a faint trail on the Ruby side, we'd better find it to avoid overhead willows; no trail on the Noname side, just make sure our bearing is right. Anything else?

carson_h - yes, please send me the gpx file, much appreciated.
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Post by docjohn »

The pass north of Peak Twelve is straightforward. Do Peak Twelve on the way, otherwise you'll be like me, having to go all that way to pick up an orphan peak later when you're old like me. Stay on grass a little high, follow game trails and you'll pick up a trail that then takes you down basin. It is not a highway, you still move through a lot of alders, but you won't have to thrash. Look at it on a satellite view and you can discern the way. Ruby is a spectacular basin, have fun!
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum
Dmcole20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dmcole20 »

carson_h wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 am Yes, we did a route last year linking Jagged, Turret, then Pigeon in a big loop. I can PM you a gpx file when I get home.
Any chance you'd be able to share the gpx file with me as well? I'm trying to piece together a route from Highland Mary to Vestal Lake to Sunlight Lake and out to Purgatory, and am exploring alternative routes to avoid some mileage and crowds at chicago basin. So any tips if you've explored that region would be welcomed as well! https://www.gaiagps.com/public/iyhlHre1 ... RasterFeet
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Not sure I’d call it a shortcut but definitely goes! It’s a little rough early season with snow but you should have no issues. If you don’t have a gpx already, just PM.
(Wear pants not shorts)
Danger_D
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 100 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Danger_D »

Dmcole20 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 pm
carson_h wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 am Yes, we did a route last year linking Jagged, Turret, then Pigeon in a big loop. I can PM you a gpx file when I get home.
Any chance you'd be able to share the gpx file with me as well? I'm trying to piece together a route from Highland Mary to Vestal Lake to Sunlight Lake and out to Purgatory, and am exploring alternative routes to avoid some mileage and crowds at chicago basin. So any tips if you've explored that region would be welcomed as well! https://www.gaiagps.com/public/iyhlHre1 ... RasterFeet
Dmcole20, I found a gpx track on this trip report https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=10524 . I'll be using this route this weekend so might have some fresh feedback afterwards
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

Danger_D wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:05 am Dmcole20, I found a gpx track on this trip report https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=10524 . I'll be using this route this weekend so might have some fresh feedback afterwards
Hopefully it's okay to post this – it's a scan from Dave Cooper's out-of-print Colorado Scrambles book. It shows a somewhat different route in upper No-Name Basin. I followed this last time I was up there. That was several years ago, but from what I recall there was a faint trail most of the way between T3 (upper Ruby Basin) and T1 (creek crossing in upper No-Name Basin). However, we lost the trail when it descended into the woods close to T1.
Ruby No-Name Waypoints Resized.JPG
Ruby No-Name Waypoints Resized.JPG (270.76 KiB) Viewed 380 times