Easy(ish) 13er near Durango?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Easy(ish) 13er near Durango?

Post by LarryM »

This isn't for me - I'll be in the Sawatch this weekend - but someone I know plans to climb Hesperus this weekend. She isn't super experienced in the high mountains, and will be hiking with a similarly inexperienced 14 year old (though they are both quite fit) and is likely biting off more than she should. Route finding especially might be a problem for her. I'd like to suggest an easier 13er near Durango. She won't be camping. Has 4WD but not high clearance. And suggestions?
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Easy(ish) 13er near Durango?

Post by Matt »

If your friend's willing to drive as long as it takes to go from DGO to Mancos and all the way to that TH, she's golden.
Sultan and Grand Turk are walkups from Little Molas Lake. They could just do Grand Turk if they're not up for both.
Engineer Mountain comes up a hair short of 13k, but is more interesting than many 13er walkups, and cooler looking than most peaks of any height.
Unranked Centennial Peak starts from the same area as does Hesperus, if they're just enamored of the backwoods of Mancos.

There are scads of walkup 13ers around Silverton.

Those peaks offer less route finding challenge or scrambling difficulty than Hesperus, which it sounds like could be overdoing it for them?
Here's my experience on Hesperus, which came after one trip where I lost the route sans compass, map, or brain.
If I'm wrong, Snowdon Peak has some 3rd class stuff that's no prob without snow, and offers easy route finding.
BTW, I made it to the Sharkstooth TH in a Subaru, but the last part of the road was toughest, and who knows how that's changed since 2008?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

Centennial peak is a good recommendation. Shorter route and has an excellent easily followed trail leading to the saddle and then simply follow the ridge which has somewhat of a trail.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I made it to Sharkstooth in a Rav4 last fall no problem.

Gaining the ridge on Hesperus is kind of a bitch (loose scree), but the ridge itself is easy.

I'll second (third?) Centennial, although note it's officially unranked. The ridge between it and Moss sure looks like it drops more than 300 feet, though.

BTW, from Durango the drive to Little Molas Lake (for Grand Turk) probably takes as long as to Sharkstooth.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
TheBigSpooky
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheBigSpooky »

Wildhorse peak via Bear Creek canyon. Its basically a long hike, easy route finding. I was up there last weekend and there is a smidge of snow at the pass but you can walk around the fields. Super great peak.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Kendall Mountain in Silverton is easy to access and the routefinding is a breeze.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."