Lackawanna Gulch conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JasonF
14ers: 58 
13ers: 63 1
Trip Reports (45)

Lackawanna Gulch conditions

Post by JasonF »

Looking for current conditions on the gulch - any input is appreciated.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going get better. It's not.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
Dr. Seuss
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Lackawanna Gulch conditions

Post by AnnaG22 »

was up there 2 weeks ago. no snow for the first 700~ vertical, then more and more, but the west slope of the SE ridge was relatively dry. that area has gotten dumped on fairly heavily since, though...if you head up there I would proceed with caution, it may be primed to slide. maybe it already has, though...in which case you'd be good.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
avs88fan
14ers: 56 
13ers: 173
Trip Reports (9)

Post by avs88fan »

Anyone know of latest conditions for Lackawanna couloir or south slopes route?
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

We were there yesterday and the snow was pretty wretched. I don't think it got a hard freeze Saturday night and we hiked the ridge up, then the skiers had a tough time down the south slopes and glissading was out for Dillon and me - we just plunge-stepped, down past the knees for a couple hundred feet. Upper portion slopes that spill into the couloir are getting very thin and spotty.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
avs88fan
14ers: 56 
13ers: 173
Trip Reports (9)

Post by avs88fan »

We were up there yesterday as well. Not sure if you saw us. We went up the South Slopes then tried to gain the ridge but got into some terrible snow just to the right of the top of the gully and bailed at 13K because it was so warm. We were able to glissade a good 1000-1200ft. before the snow got too soft.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Yeah, we saw you glissade down (I envied you that later) and your tracks. We would have dubbed it Lackafunna except that the views from the summit were pretty sweet - a surprisingly small perch after climbing the broad face. Snow was really getting iffy in the early afternoon.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.