Gore Range Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dad Mike
14ers: 58  5  58 
13ers: 349 3 77
Trip Reports (59)

Gore Range Conditions

Post by Dad Mike »

Has anyone spent time in the Gores recently? Looking for snow conditions...if any.

Thanks...Mike
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Gore Range Conditions

Post by jbchalk »

Was up at Upper Slate Lake all weekend with a great crew climbing peaks and no axe or spikes were needed. I didn't even bring an axe or crampons, but a few others brought axes and never used them. However, if you happen to want to climb a north facing couloir, I'd bring an axe and crampons. Ridges are dry as a bone and pretty much all couloirs facing all other directions are as well.
Dad Mike
Trip Reports (59)

Post by Dad Mike »

Beautiful. Just want I wanted to hear. Thank you Brandon.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

You got it, Mike. Have fun.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

If you head into Slate, Mike, you might want to consider bringing a flamethrower for the skeeters. It was borderline unreal.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Dad Mike
Trip Reports (59)

Post by Dad Mike »

Thanks for the heads up. I was just going to bring a tarp. Guess I will have to bring my whole tent. Damn it.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If you head into Slate, Mike, you might want to consider bringing a flamethrower for the skeeters. It was borderline unreal.
When was this though? It seems that mosquitoes have really dropped off lately in areas I have visited, which are not that far away (I haven't been to the Slate drainage recently). There was a huge difference between late July and last weekend (which is typical), at least a little bit north. Usually mosquitoes in the alpine areas (state wide) really start to taper off around this time of year. Of course there may be an exception to this is certain areas.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

The bugs are still pretty bad in the Gores. Bring the Deet and a tent, Mike.

Tarp?! You're crazy :P
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Papillon wrote:If you head into Slate, Mike, you might want to consider bringing a flamethrower for the skeeters. It was borderline unreal.
Yes, a flamethrower would be very beneficial. Good call there, Kevin. I guess I was trying to rid my mind of that mosquito misery. But, its VERY real up in the Gores.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

jbchalk wrote:
Papillon wrote:If you head into Slate, Mike, you might want to consider bringing a flamethrower for the skeeters. It was borderline unreal.
Yes, a flamethrower would be very beneficial. Good call there, Kevin. I guess I was trying to rid my mind of that mosquito misery. But, its VERY real up in the Gores.
I think the skeeters added to the rock n roll vibe up there, Brandon. 8)

Bill, the DEET didn't do anything. It was like Ride of the Valkyries.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Lol. Reminds me of Holy Cross this June. We were in full winter gear at camp, including head socks, and it wasn't cold.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Mad Dad Mike.
I like the new name. ;)
Mike, I could have loaned you my 1 man. Not much more weight than a bivy.
later.
d