Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

Post by desertdog »

Greenhouseguy wrote:
semitrueskerm wrote:Be careful, Greenhouse. That Williams Lake route does go through some dicey areas that look as though they could break loose. There wasn't much snow then when Mongoose & I climbed it a few weeks ago, but Mongoose & I commented on how we might be uncomfortable if it had more snow. I don't think it should deter you from going, especially if a trail has been broken...but be aware, as I'm sure you will.

(Remembering our snow climb on that windy day on Elbert a few years ago...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpbBa0 ... q9ONPnzEFc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, Jim, I thought about that trip and threw some handwarmers in my backpack just in case. I also have a lanyard on my camera so it won't pop out of my pocket again! I called the ranger station in Questa for conditions, and he sure didn't offer me any encouragement. We'll probably hit Santa Fe Baldy instead. Thanks for all the responses.
I did SF Baldy a couple weeks ago. The first couple miles of the Windsor Trail had a ton of ice on it. Its just a little down hill but I'd bring spikes just so you don't have to watch each step. Enjoy!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I think I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Wound up hiking the La Luz Trail on Sandia Peak; it was well worth the effort.

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Greenhouseguy wrote:I think I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Wound up hiking the La Luz Trail on Sandia Peak; it was well worth the effort.

Awesome! It's been such a pretty few days... I bet it was great. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

I think I made a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Wound up hiking the La Luz Trail on Sandia Peak; it was well worth the effort.
It was beautiful up there at sunset yesterday. So many colors and such expansive views to the west; I hadn't seen that much red in a sunset in quite a long time.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NM_Hiker »

Greenhouseguy,

Nice photo. Ever think of hiking the Truchas? They are south of Wheeler Peak. If you are I would like to tag along.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

B[3] wrote:
It was beautiful up there at sunset yesterday. So many colors and such expansive views to the west; I hadn't seen that much red in a sunset in quite a long time.
It's usually like that here.
7-594 small.jpg
7-594 small.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 522 times
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

It's usually like that here.
Yeah, I see what you mean!
breaking bad.jpg
breaking bad.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

NM_Hiker wrote:Greenhouseguy,

Nice photo. Ever think of hiking the Truchas? They are south of Wheeler Peak. If you are I would like to tag along.
Absolutely. Several people have recommended the Truchas Peaks to me, and they seem like the perfect place to be in early fall. I'll have to start making plans! Sandia was a real eye-opener. It looks like a big lump of rock from the interstate. Up close, it has granite towers that would look right at home in Yosemite. The scenery beat all expectations.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Greenhouseguy wrote:
NM_Hiker wrote:Greenhouseguy,

Absolutely. Several people have recommended the Truchas Peaks to me, and they seem like the perfect place to be in early fall. I'll have to start making plans! Sandia was a real eye-opener. It looks like a big lump of rock from the interstate. Up close, it has granite towers that would look right at home in Yosemite. The scenery beat all expectations.
I'm absolutely down for the Truchas! I see them from my house every day, and I want to be up there so bad! I'm very interested in a winter backcountry trip to ski them, depending on snowpack, if anybody is interested.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08