Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Post by atalarico »

Hey all,

I'm thinking of heading up Mayflower Gulch tomorrow to climb Atlantic or Drift.

Has anyone been up there recently? I'm thinking given the recent snowfall that it might be best to stick to a ridgeline like Drift. I've climbed the ridge on Drift peak once before in the winter, but never actually made the summit.

Thanks!
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Re: Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Post by Marmot72 »

Did you get up there? Just wondering what it looks like - of course, that will change now, with several inches of snow falling in the mountains.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

I was up there on the 18th, here's a photo my friend took of the basin above treeline. There's a well-packed ski/boot path up to the old cabins, then beyond that we broke trail up to the Atlantic-Fletcher ridge to do the traverse. If you want to climb Atlantic or Drift though don't follow our tracks, since they don't go to either of those summits.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (26.62 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

That's a gnarly traverse; not one typically tried after September. Trip report soon?
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

Haha I'll try, trip reports take so long to write though! It was definitely a gnarly traverse, one of the hardest days I've ever had in the mountains.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Nice, Sarah! Was there a particular gendarme that was the crux for you? For me, it was the 5th (closest to Fletcher) no doubt. Well done.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Dumping in Summit so I'd imagine it's very snowy over there.