Descent off Edwards

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Del Gratz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Descent off Edwards

Post by Del Gratz »

I am hoping to climb Torreys via Kelso ridge then traverse over to Grays and Edwards. I am interested is suggestions for the descent off Edwards back to Sevens Gulch. Is their more than one choice of couloirs to descend? If there is a preferred descent route, I would appreciate help identifying it.

Thanks,
Del
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Descent off Edwards

Post by Tory Wells »

According to Roach, the Edwardian Couloir goes at class 2 (with snow), has an average steepness of 30 degrees and a maximum steepness of 33 degrees. Although I'm guessing it's not much fun sans snow.

edit: none of them would be fun without snow, but certainly safely doable.
Last edited by Tory Wells on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Tory Wells
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

In this TR, they used the Jeep Couloir off McClellan Mt.
https://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.p ... ki=Include
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vids »

I can't tell you which couloir to go down, but I spent a bunch of time on McLellan last fall and can tell you that the further you head north the easier the descent into Stevens Gulch gets. There are multiple choices, and eventually you will get to an area you can go down before you get north of the trailhead.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Del, the best way back from Edwards is to go back to the Grays Trail. It's really quick to get back from Edwards to Grays. The only other normal route down is the Goatfinger couloir which tops out at 50 degrees and would be an awful dry descent (and an expert ski descent). The Edwardian Couloir drops you into Peru Basin -- if you have two cars (one of which is a 4x4) going down Argentine Pass from Edwards into Peru Basin is a really fun traverse, one I've done a few times.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Tory Wells
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Oops, my bad. I didn't realize the Edwardian drops into the Peru Creek Basin. In that case, yes, traversing back to Grays would be the surest way to get down safely.

-Steve Gladbach