Best Centennial 13er for fall colors?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bad andy
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (1)

Best Centennial 13er for fall colors?

Post by bad andy »

Within 2 hours (or so) of Golden?
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Best Centennial 13er for fall colors?

Post by denvermikey »

Grizzly pk A, on the way from Twin Lakes up Independence Pass should be awesome...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Sunny1 did Hope solo last year in the fall. Said it was beautiful.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

I did Lackawanna in winter, but I remember thinking that it would have been a nice fall hike due to all the aspens that we passed through on the South Slopes route.

--D
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

49ersRule wrote:Sunny1 did Hope solo last year in the fall. Said it was beautiful.
Good for Sunny1, Hope Solo is beautiful. Luckily she's neither a centennial (centenerian?), not a 13er.

denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Can't wait til the day when I can say I did Hope solo...
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
bad andy
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bad andy »

Thanks for the quick replies - keep em comin'!
I came real close to "doing Hope solo" last Saturday, but I stuck to my duties as a Hopeless Aid Station volunteer on the LT100, instead.
Those runners are amazing.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Mt Ouray via the Grays Creek trailhead is pretty good. You hike through aspens for the first mile or so. I suppose on the way home you could drive out the west side of the Marshall Pass road, then back over Monarch Pass to see even more.

We did the drive the Stewart Creek TH last September (which is close to the Nutras Creek TH for centennial Stewart Peak), and the aspens were colossal along those remote back roads. It's more than two hours away, but might be worth the extra distance, especially if you can camp the night before your climb.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Jim Davies wrote:Mt Ouray via the Grays Creek trailhead is pretty good. You hike through aspens for the first mile or so. I suppose on the way home you could drive out the west side of the Marshall Pass road, then back over Monarch Pass to see even more.
That road is absolutely lined with aspens for over twelve miles. I was thinking last spring when I drove through there it would be spectacular in the fall when the leaves light up.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

bad andy wrote:I came real close to "doing Hope solo" last Saturday, but I stuck to my duties as a Hopeless Aid Station volunteer on the LT100, instead.
Those runners are amazing.
I tried to do Hope solo, but happened to encounter the LT100 on the way down. Two's company, 500's a crowd. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I'm sure lots of guys would like to "do" Hope Solo...... :lol:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Hoot
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Post by Hoot »

I'll 3rd Ouray although it's a bit more than 2 hours from Golden. I climbed it on 6 Oct 2007 and the aspen leaves were mostly down by then that year. But I remember thinking that I need to return when the aspens are changing. Even if you miss the peak aspens - and the summit - the bristlecone pine forest at tree line is well worth the visit.