Cathedral Peak conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rmdmjc
Trip Reports (0)

Cathedral Peak conditions

Post by rmdmjc »

I would like to climb Cathedral Peak August 8th to 9th. I was wondering with all the snow this year if the crux gully could still be a snow climb? Has anyone been there recently or is there a place I can see the mountain from a distance? I also saw in a trip report that a side gully goes 3rd class without the loose scree. Has anyone else done this route?
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Cathedral Peak conditions

Post by Kiefer »

I'm thinking of heading up there this Friday. I can PM you conditions or leave em' on this thread when I get back.
rmdmjc
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rmdmjc »

Kiefer
That would be wonderfull.
Check out this report on 13ers web page (Cathedral Pk. - a different route) It shows a side gully that is much better climbing if there is a lack of snow in gully.

Good luck and looking forward to your report!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hey guys, have you climbed Cathedral? I'm curious also as I might be able to get there in a next few weeks to climb it. What trailhead did you start from? How feasible would be combining Conundrum be?
rockymountaindiva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rockymountaindiva »

Climbed Cathedral via standard route last week Thursday. The gully is very steep and had plenty of very well-packed snow which didn't soften much during the day. We kicked steps on the way up, then backed down them on the way down - very slow and tedious. It was a long day, 11+ hrs, so I wouldn't recommend trying to combine with anything else unless you are a speed demon.