Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eaglevu
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (3)

Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Post by Eaglevu »

I am thinking of climbing Atlantic and Pacific, this weekend, and would like some recent "snow" info. Are snowshoes (or skis) still needed for the approach to Atlantic's West Ridge?

How about Peru Creek, to Chiuahua Gulch? Is the road open, yet?
-Eaglevu
(Member of the "EVEREST IS TOO D_MN HIGH!" party.)
Bryson
14ers: 13 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Post by Bryson »

We were there on the 12th of this month hiking twards Drift Peak. IMO, you probably wont need snowshoes above treeline but we did post hole pretty bad after 11o'clock in the morning on the way back down.
6-12-11 Mayflower gulch from the ridge heading to Drift
6-12-11 Mayflower gulch from the ridge heading to Drift
IMG_0549 (800x600).jpg (287.41 KiB) Viewed 706 times
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mayflower Gulch conditions?

Post by John Landers »

Eaglevu wrote:I am thinking of climbing Atlantic and Pacific, this weekend, and would like some recent "snow" info. Are snowshoes (or skis) still needed for the approach to Atlantic's West Ridge?

How about Peru Creek, to Chiuahua Gulch? Is the road open, yet?
I climbed Pacific and Atlantic from Mayflower Gulch on Saturday, June 11th and carried snowshoes the entire day. The bottom of Mayflower Gulch had a lot of snow, but I avoided it by going over Mayflower Hill both ways. If there is still a lot of snow in the bottom of the gulch I would advise you to do the same unless you want a wallow fest.