Wheeler Peak New Mexico current conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Wheeler Peak New Mexico current conditions

Post by kaiman »

Hi Folks,

I was wondering whether anyone has any current beta on Wheeler Peak in New Mexico? Have they received any snow in the Taos area yet? I am looking to climb it possibly late this week (not with the CMC group though) or next week.

Thanks in advance,

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
jniehof
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wheeler Peak New Mexico current conditions

Post by jniehof »

Here's the view north from Santa Fe Baldy yesterday:
Everything looks clear around the Truchas, and I haven't heard anything about snow further north. Also can't see any snow up there from Los Alamos. I'll post after this weekend, if you don't wind up going before me.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

jniehof wrote:Here's the view north from Santa Fe Baldy yesterday:

Everything looks clear around the Truchas, and I haven't heard anything about snow further north. Also can't see any snow up there from Los Alamos. I'll post after this weekend, if you don't wind up going before me.
jniehof,

Thanks for the info/pic. I would love to hear about your trip regardless, so yes please post some info when you get back.

Cheers!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

It's been very dry lately. No rain, no snow. Should be an easy climb. If I were you, I would do the entire Williams Lake cirque. You will get 3 of the 10 highest peaks in New Mexico and it's a fun scramble too. From Taos Ski Valley, hike up the Kachina lift, make a left and scale Kachina Peak. From here just keep circling around until you get to Wheeler.
jniehof
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jniehof »

Absolutely zilch snow. The ground was a little frozen right above Williams Lake but I'm sure it softened over the day; that was the only sign of frozen water we saw. Looks like the color will peak this weekend. Conditions are great right now.
Redleg Bruce
14ers: 10 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Redleg Bruce »

Looking to do this the wekend after next, conditions permitting. Anyone have any idea as to whether or not snowshoes will be needed?
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU... WOOOO!

Field Artillery go BOOM!
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Here is the Taos Ski Valley web cam. Looks like some snow but I'm guessing not enough for snowshoes if you take the Williams Lake route (Bull of the Woods maybe). Campons might help out on the steep ascent up from Williams Lake if the snow hasn't already blown off. Axe may not be necessary but it would probably be a good idea to take it along if there is still snow on the steep part.

http://taoswebcam.com/Taos-Area-Cams/ta ... ebcam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is Angel Fire which isn't too far away. Only looks like 2 or 3 inches.

http://taoswebcam.com/Taos-Area-Cams/an ... -park.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a cam looking towards Wheeler Peak. The Wheeler group is on the left side of the web cam on the front page.

http://www.angelfireresort.com/winter/mountain-cams.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Bump, just in case anyone has been down there lately. With this weekends conditions in Colorado and my only days off Friday and Saturday im considering heading down that direction.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Haven't been up there in a while but below is a link to some webcams. Looks like there is still a fair amount of snow up there.

http://www.skitaos.com/discover-taos/webcams/
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

We climbed it a couple weeks ago via Williams Lake. It was snow the whole way. We got an early start and didn't need snowshoes. You may want bring them for the approach in the trees. Once out of the trees, we just booted it straight up the basin.

It's been pretty warm "down here" and we've had lots of snow melt. Since we climbed it, we had a storm with about 5 inches of snow, and we got a couple inches of snow in the mountains yesterday. I think it would be in good shape for this weekend.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Thanks for the update. Does anyone have the GPX points for the route at all? I'm having trouble finding them online.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

I skied up there today, there's continuous snow from the Bavarian on up to Williams lake, which is still snow covered. Lots of snow up higher, the wheeler peak area is slightly more bare but still pretty snowy.