Need suggestions for 1 night backpack trip

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Need suggestions for 1 night backpack trip

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I looking for a quick hit backpack trip this weekend with some good alpine scenery and possible scrambling. It seems like Indian Peaks and the Gore Range would have some good stuff, I'm just not familiar with the trails. Something closer to Denver preferrably. Anything in Rocky Mountain N.P. Thanks!
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Need suggestions for 1 night backpack trip

Post by ketel1 »

Near Vail-Piney Lake, pack in to Powell and Peak C area. The scenery is stunning!!! One of my all time favorites. I suspect the area got some snow last week. You don't even have to summit, the scenery alone is worth it. Last time I was there, we saw 2 moose wander from the trees and wade into the lake to eat.
http://www.gorerange.info/peakc/cpowell.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... owell.html

Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
jreid06
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Need suggestions for 1 night backpack trip

Post by jreid06 »

One of my favorites in RMNP is Thunder Lake. The lake has monster trout, great views and campsites really close to the lake. You can also hike up past the lake to Boulder-Grand Pass and Lake of the Many Winds with some scrambling involved and have great views of the Rockies. The scrambling really is in getting to the Pass. There is some bushwhacking getting to the lake but it is realy just sorta steep getting there nothing serious. You can also go to Falcon Lake above thunder and there are some good scrambling areas up that direction.