September Climbing on the Crestones.

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
toddimming
14er Checklist (40)

September Climbing on the Crestones.

Postby toddimming » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi. I was hoping to find someone, or a group, who might be interested in climbing the Crestones, Kit Carson, Challenger, etc. in mid-September. We are a group of 2 or 3. We aren't beginners, but the trip reports have me a little freaked out. Beer and food would be on us.
ameristrat
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (26)

Re: September Climbing on the Crestones.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Im planning on climbing both earlier inthe summer, but I'd probably be up to go again. If you don't mind another guy tagging along
kushrocks
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby kushrocks » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm

PM Sent. I am always up for spending time in the Crestones.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Stereo311
14er Checklist (58)

Postby Stereo311 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm

I have plans of hiking up Crestone Peak (again) and Crestone Needle (will be the first time). Crestone Peak via the Red Gully is a fun climb. It's steep enough to get the heart beating and the adrenaline flowing, without huge amounts of exposure. I also plan on Kit Carson and Challenger Point again. For me, the hardest part was getting up the loose rock to Challenger Point. I am not sure about the dates for the climbs. Are you guys set on September?
Bullwinkle
14er Checklist (43)

Postby Bullwinkle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:28 pm

I did both a few years ago--the Needle alone around Labor Day. I posted a couple of trip reports (w/pics) that you may find useful. The Crestones are two of my all-time favorites. Great rock! If you are comfortable on Class 3 ascents, are physically fit, and use good judgment, you should be fine.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
zdero1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby zdero1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm definitely down for climbing in the Crestones in Sept. Possibly earlier if there is a weak storm season. I'm planning on doing KC and Challenger as soon as the Avenue clears. PM if interested.

Kush I would love it if you could guide me up the Needle!
DeTour
14er Checklist (29)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby DeTour » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:40 pm

toddimming wrote:Beer and food would be on us.

You might want to consider putting a limit on that offer ... unless you had an Everest-size expedition in mind ...
A vaincre sans periol, on triomphe sans gloire

Return to “Climbing Connection”