St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
rkalsbeek
14er Checklist (20)
14ers in Winter (1)

Re: St. Marys snow/ice practice day?

Postby rkalsbeek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 pm

We'll find another weekend! I think I'm going to try and head up to Eldora to do some snow shoeing, maybe bring the crampons along if I come across a suitable area. Any one is welcome to join me, just send me a PM tonight.
Sous les pavés, la plage.

Climbing for Alzheimer's Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/1414ersforAlzheimers
http://www.1414ersforalz.org Raising awareness about Alzheimer's Disease.
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

Postby GregMiller » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Well, how does next weekend look for folks? I'd love to do Saturday if possible.
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Oh good! I just heard from my buddy and ride that he was bailing due to stomach issue. Got on to tuck my tail and say I wouldn't be making it even though I started the ball rolling...Sounds like tomorrow is just NOT the day. Will keep an eye on conditions and hope for maybe next weekend.

Thanks to everyone who signed on and was offering up instruction/help. You guys are awesome!!!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Nfreelen
14er Checklist (12)

Postby Nfreelen » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 pm

I'd like to do it next Saturday as well. Planning a trip up next weekend and would love to learn from experienced individuals.
k-berger
14er Checklist (19)
14ers Skied (3)
13er Checklist (24)

Postby k-berger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 am

I would be interested in this Saturday (30th) as well. I'm looking for basic crampon and axe practice and tips from the more experienced. Also some partners for spring climbs this year...
Winter8000m
14er Checklist (29)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby Winter8000m » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 am

Doug Shaw wrote:
Winter8000m wrote:Don't think it's okay to bag on other people for these type of decisions.

Sorry, it was entirely misinterpreted ... it was tongue in cheek about me not wanting to leave my comfy residence. No bagging intended!

No big deal Doug! Sorry for misinterpreting it. Always hard to tell the mood on internet forums.

As far as Saturday, I won't be able to make it myself. I'll be in Glenwood for the day. Have fun! Looks like the weather and conditions will be a little better. 8)
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:57 am

I'd be up for Saturday if we have some folks available. Will need to know pretty soon to lock it down though.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Doug Shaw
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:26 am

I'm also unavailable this coming Saturday as I have a previous training commitment elsewhere.
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

Postby GregMiller » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 am

So, I and a couple other folks are still going up on Saturday, if anyone cares to join us. I figure if nothing else, we can all learn from each other's mistakes. I'll be mainly practicing self arrest and crampon work, although if enough other folks show up with beacons I'd like to get in a good multiple burial practice.

Do people still want to try grilling? It sounds like it'll be a little windy to be standing around, so I'd be fine not bothering with that, or just doing that back at the cars.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Steve Climber
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 am

GregMiller wrote:So, I and a couple other folks are still going up on Saturday, if anyone cares to join us. I figure if nothing else, we can all learn from each other's mistakes. I'll be mainly practicing self arrest and crampon work, although if enough other folks show up with beacons I'd like to get in a good multiple burial practice.

Do people still want to try grilling? It sounds like it'll be a little windy to be standing around, so I'd be fine not bothering with that, or just doing that back at the cars.

I think I will plan on heading up Saturday as well. My buddy that was originally going to beacon practice with won't be with me, but I am still very interested in doing some burial practice.

As far as grilling goes, I am still up for an after practice hang out in parking lot with burgers or brats and a beer. Would be nice to relax for a few minutes after being on snow/ice for a day.

Anybody up for a later start than 7am (8-9 ish) or is earlier still preferred timing? Also, anyone interested in carpooling from Dino lots or elsewhere? I'm coming from Erie so anywhere between CO-7 to Morrison will work.

edit: Lots of Youtube clips of basic techniques out there to brush on theory before real practicing.

MonGoose
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (6)
14ers in Winter (13)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby MonGoose » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

I'm planning on joining in Saturday as well. I'll bring my full avy gear so we can do a few beacon searches. I'm indifferent on the start time and I'm happy to car pool from the Dino lot.
Doug Shaw
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 am

To open up options for folks, I will probably be heading up on Sunday with a couple folks (who to the best of my knowledge are not on this site). I know it's Easter, but if anybody is interested in joining us, let me know.

Return to “Climbing Connection”